Blanked!!

Littlebuf

Called sun up to sun down and not so much as a bark today! Calling some killer stuff too. First time in at least 2 years I haven’t at least called one dog in. Someone make me feel better and tell me I’m not the only one...

If it makes you feel better, I didn't call a single one either. Did upset the neighbors' dogs on both sides, though. Oh, did I mention I didn't leave the house and live in the city?
wink.gif

Seriously, you'll have days like that; some days they are bitin', some days they're not.

Regards,
hm

AWS and I didn't call a coyote in 5 stands the other morning. We were in a spot I know is loaded with coyotes and we did hear a few at sun up. We did see at least one truck coyote but it may have been two different truck coyotes.

Littlebuf. Not sure this helps, but when I first started calling I drive 30 hours and paid a lot of money to go down and hunt with Tony Tebbe. We called for 2 days straight. Sun up to sun down. Got blanked for 2 days straight. He felt bad for me and gave me another half day for free because things were so dead. We called in 4 males the next day and killed 3 of them. That was one of the most epic and unforgettable stands of my life. The lesson I took away from that whole trip was that even the best of the best get blanked gotta shrug it off and be thankful for the good days.

Last edited:
Any day of calling is a good day, SnowmanMo said it perfectly no coyotes is a "Scouting Day". Even if I don't call in a coyote I usually learn a lot that day. Better ways to approach a stand, maybe a better stand location, look a new area, try different sounds.

Brian and I have hunted together a couple times we have totally different hunting styles, it has been a learning experience for me, I'm really looking forward to days when we can share a vehicle and really pick apart our stands, stand selections and calling styles. Already I've picked up one coyote in a place I wouldn't have called after hunting with Brian.

We did 7 sets over the weekend. Managed to call in one pair in one set, and nothing in the other six. Buddy missed on the pair, so we went home with nothing. He felt bad, but I told him it was a great time and better than sitting on the couch.

Quote:He felt bad, but I told him it was a great time and better than sitting on the couch.

Heck, you're missin' half the fun. If my partner misses, I rag him mercilessly about screwin' up such an easy shot! It's even more fun around the campfire with other hunters in the mix.
sneaky2.gif

Oh, and he does the same. We been hunting and fishing together for nigh on to 70 years now so whatever works for you. It is better than sittin' on the couch!
thumbup1.gif

Regards,
hm

I remember last year my buddy and I hunted all night from like 8pm til 4 am and got blanked on every stand. Then it was getting onto 4 am and we decided to try one last stand.. and wouldn't you know it.. we spotted a mt lion with 3 Cubs on that stand.. didn't shoot.. just sat and watched them for about 40 mins.
Definitely memorable

It happens,went to 2 of my surefire places Sunday a week ago,have not been there in probably 4 months and got humbled.Nothing happened could not even get any to answer me.

Well redeemed last weekend today. Called in a nasty mangy dog right before dark tonight. Sucker ran right past us at around 20 yards on the way to our caller and shot him just before getting to the caller. Best part was this was the first coyote that my 6 year old son was able to be there for.

That’s why I switched to night hunting, called in 16 last week. Quad, 4 doubles then the singles. Went out 5 times 3-4 spots a night.

Interesting year this year, I'm seeing so few rabbits, usually I see a bunch hiking into stands so far this year three jacks and a cottontail. The coyote scat I'm finding here is full of vegetable fiber and mesquite beans. I've killed a few but if I would have missed one I would have been blanked for the day. Yesterday I made a lot of very good stands and killed the only one I saw. Time to try another area. I usually head out from the house and hunt a 100 square mile area then go to another the next hunt. Most places I'm calling new stands so it isn't always heavily productive unless I get into a hot spot but I get to know the country.

Back