Got deer?

Scamp

Just curious what State/area you are in. Wondering about this...
How many deer in your area?
How often do you see deer?
What is the hunting limit on deer in your area?
Y'all not from here will probably be surprised at the number of deer around here. And the State limits on deer.

Not sure if we have as many deer as some of you have, but if farmers let there cows in the barn before day light they have more deer than cows!

I believe Florida has a population of 750,000-800,000. Or at least I think I remember seeing that at one time. I hunt private property and almost always see deer.

We're going on year two or three of new rules. The rules differ throughout the state. The part of the state I hunt allows a harvest of five deer, of which, only two can be antlerless.

An antlerless deer is a deer with no antlers or antlers less than 5" and can only be taken during specific dates based on location. Legal bucks in the area I hunt are defined as a buck having at least 3 points on one side (a point is considered 1" or longer) or at least one main beam of 10".

Prior to the new rules, a person could kill two anterlered deer a day with no season limit. The antlers used to be defined as one or more antler 3" above the hairline... commonly referred to as spikes.

I've lived in Florida all my life, Florida has always enjoyed a strong deer population, I have no idea what generated the new rules.

I've hunted deer in TX, AZ, NM, ID, WY and CO. I'm mostly a mule deer hunter and hunt more open country. On several occasions I've counted 50+ bucks in a morning and it isn't uncommon for me to look over 100 deer in a day and sometime 200-300 deer in a day. Some of these deer are a mile or more away though. I've also had days I see few or no deer. In most these states it is generally just one deer per year and in many areas you can only hunt if you draw a tag.

In my area we see deer all the time. But it's funny I can go hunting and sometimes not see a deer. Western Maryland, where the mountains are, have less deer according to DNR so the limits there are way less.

But for my area it was unlimited antlerless deer for archery season which is almost 5 months long, and includes crossbows. Then 10 antlerless deer limit for regular gun season and 10 more for muzzleloader season. Only 2 bucks allowed in any of these seasons. A couple seasons ago they went back to a 15 doe limit in the unlimited counties during archery season. No daily limit for does. In some counties like Montgomery, the road kill is in the thousands per year. I just went on a 60 mile roundtrip the other day and saw 5 road kills in Calvert and Anne Arundel counties. In early Nov every year its not unusual to see a new roadkill every day close to my house. In the late summer we go for drives glassing soybean fields and its normal to see 100 deer in the evenings feeding in different bean fields.
But over all, I believe the deer numbers around here are not as high as they were a few years ago. Coyotes have moved into every county in the State now. I'm sure they are taking a toll on our fawns.

Last edited:
Arizona, 1 deer per year. Draw odds vary. A top tier hunt can take 20 years to draw. I put in for less desirable hunts with better odds. I’ve been passed the last three years. I don’t have the results for this year yet. In Arizona you have to work pretty hard to hunt game. It’s not like Texas where you sit in a blind 50 feet from a feeder.

Originally Posted By: DaisyCutterArizona, 1 deer per year. Draw odds vary. A top tier hunt can take 20 years to draw. I put in for less desirable hunts with better odds. I’ve been passed the last three years. I don’t have the results for this year yet. In Arizona you have to work pretty hard to hunt game. It’s not like Texas where you sit in a blind 50 feet from a feeder.

Nevada is the same.

GOOBS of deer here Mule deer and whitetail.
We can get one buck, and a ton of does, depending on the area and special draws and damage hunts.

We have a pretty good size Deer Herd in the last 5 years here in Missouri...I see a decent amount of Deer just about every time I go out.On our 105 Acre Farm I've had 10 to 16 Deer cross or move into view and thats on about 40 acres of open Ridge field i can see from one of our elevated stands.
We are allowed to shoot 2 Deer in our County (1 Anterless and 1 any Deer/Buck)during Rifle Season...in Bow Season we can shoot 1 Buck and 1 Doe and then buy as many Doe tags as We want.
If we don't get a Deer during Rifle Season We have an Anterless/Doe only hunt and a Muzzle Loader Season also...plenty of days to get and thin out the Deer.

Last edited:
Back