Bering Optics Phenom: 12 µm 640 Scanner

Kirsch

I posted a video a few months back of the Bering Optics Phenom. It was a 17 µm 640x480. When I placed my order for the Phenom, Bering recommended I wait because they were working on a 12 µm version. The wait is finally over. Last night was my first chance to drive around and test the image quality.

It was a great night for a test as the humidity was around 80%, so it was fairly tough thermal conditions. I had a Trijicon MKIII 60, my Super Hogster, and the Phenom with me. How did they compare? The MK3 definitely wins for long range detection. However, I can honestly say when animals were in hunting distances, the image of the Phenom was right there with the Trijicon. The Trijicon was a little more grainy at times, and maybe had just a slightly better PID, but it was very close. I felt the Phenom actually had a smoother look to it. As the MKIII doesn't have video recording, I couldn't record a video comparison. In my opinion, it is nothing short of remarkable the images were comparable in quality when one thermal is 3x more expensive.

As for how it compared to the Super Hogster, you all know how much I love my Super Hogster. The image quality difference is noticeable when switching back and forth. This is not to diminish the quality of the image of the SH. You can see the image of deer at the same time at :49. The SH is a little more shaky due to the increased mag, and I was free-handing it but you can see the Phenom has a better image.

The combination of the Phenom as my scanner and the Super Hogster on my gun is going to be incredible for coyote hunting. I believe Bering has another hit on their hands. We have some in-bound for Night Goggles as we speak.

In addition, here are 3 pictures I took with the Phenom.

deer1.jpg

deer2.jpg

deer3.jpg

The original price of the Phenom 17 µm scanners on the Night Goggles website is $3,195. We are honoring this low introductory price for this first batch of 12 µm scanners. Give Tom a call and make sure to mention you are with Predator Masters.

You are talking about a Trijicon quality image, with 1 year more warranty, at 3x less cost. Pretty amazing. I wouldn't wait if you are on the fence. We have a batch due to arrive any day. We have not been able to keep Bering thermals in stock. The only reason we may have some of these available is we never announced they were coming until now.

Tom Austin, Programs Director at Night Goggles at 909-312-5424 X531

Another awesome thermal and very useful. I've got a few hours on my Super Hogster now and its beyond impressive, so I would expect the same of the Phenom.

How does it compare size wise to other scanners such as the FLIR Scion?

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Looks pretty good. Any idea what the price will be? I verified with Bering Optics we have an order of Phenoms shipping by 11/23. You will need to contact Tom Austin at 909-312-5424 X531 for your PM pricing. The MAP is $3195. Bering has not officially set the price of the 12 µm models. The current thinking is the price will either stay the same or increase. There were 3 units still available from this order when I spoke to Tom this morning at this introduction pricing.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpWhat is the native mag on the 12µm? The Phenom has a 2.5x native/base magnification. However, due to the 35mm lens, it still has a fairly generous 13° x 10° field of view.

Here is a comparison chart of the most popular Bering Models:
bering_all.jpg

Originally Posted By: Burnsome...Another awesome thermal and very useful. I've got a few hours on my Super Hogster now and its beyond impressive, so I would expect the same of the Phenom.

How does it compare size wise to other scanners such as the FLIR Scion? The Super Hogster image is good, the Phenom image is great. Scion OTM 366 is the closest model in the Flir Scion family but only has a 25mm lens vs 35mm for Phenom. Here is the size comparison.

Scion OTM 366: 9.41" x 3.03" x 2.4"
Phenom: 7.32" x 2.6" x 2.6"

Originally Posted By: mbaysinger89When do you think this will ship? This first batch is shipping from Bering no later than 11/23. It only takes 1 day to get to NG. So, it is feasible if you order and get in this first batch, it could be shipping to you by 11/25. Keep in mind there is only a few left in this first order, so I would call Tom Austin, Programs Director at Night Goggles at 909-312-5424 X531 right away, if you need one soon.

The Trijicon IR HUNTER MK3 must be fabulous. It has analog video output. You could record with an analog dvr. Then you should use an analog-digital converter and then you can put it online with YouTube. But with this operation a lot of information is lost and perhaps the digital video would be of poor quality.
I would very much like to see a comparison video of these 4 devices:
Super Hogster;
Phenom 640x480 12 micron; Pulsar Helion 2 XP50;
Pulsar Accolade 2 XP50 LRF

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ernest49The Trijicon IR HUNTER MK3 must be fabulous. It has analog video output. You could record with an analog dvr. Then you should use an analog-digital converter and then you can put it online with YouTube. But with this operation a lot of information is lost and perhaps the digital video would be of poor quality.
I would very much like to see a comparison video of these 4 devices:
Super Hogster;
Phenom 640x480 12 micron; Pulsar Helion 2 XP50;
Pulsar Accolade 2 XP50 LRF Ernest, I no longer have the Trijicon. It was a demo model sent to me so I could better understand the overall operation and function of the unit. I had to send it back. You lose a lot of video quality when doing an analog recording with the Trijicons.

I can tell you from my perspective, the Phenom has a better image than the Helion XP38 and XP50 I have used. However, I haven't used any of the Helion 2 or Accolade 2's except for at Shot Show and that was indoors. There are a lot of factors in doing comparison videos including image adjustments and recording quality. You don't see comparison of different brands often because manufacturers complain their units weren't represented correctly. There can even be potential liability concerns with comparison videos.

I just got mine ordered From Tom!!

Its a pleasure doing business with NG and Tom..

Thank you for all your help Korey, it is very much appreciated.. Kerry

Ive had one backordered for a couple months. Im excited to get hands on it. Can you run this with a 5v 2.4a battery, or does it require a 2amp battery?

Originally Posted By: carvercallsI just got mine ordered From Tom!!

Thank you for all your help Korey, it is very much appreciated.. Kerry You are welcome. Glad you got one ordered from this first batch. Make sure to let fellow Predator Master's Members know what your thoughts are once you receive it.

Originally Posted By: mbaysinger89Ive had one backordered for a couple months. Im excited to get hands on it. Can you run this with a 5v 2.4a battery, or does it require a 2amp battery? Thank you for your patience. The Phenom is amazing. I will send Bering the question on 2.0A vs 2.4A and see what they say. I am guessing it will be fine, but will check.

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: carvercallsI just got mine ordered From Tom!!

Thank you for all your help Korey, it is very much appreciated.. Kerry You are welcome. Glad you got one ordered from this first batch. Make sure to let fellow Predator Master's Members know what your thoughts are once you receive it.

I defiantly will. I absolutely love the super Hogster, so im sure the Phenom will be every bit as impressive.

The picture on the super hogster is very impressive, It really does rival my Halo LR and that is 3 times the price.. Im super impressed with Bearing optics so far!!

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: mbaysinger89Ive had one backordered for a couple months. Im excited to get hands on it. Can you run this with a 5v 2.4a battery, or does it require a 2amp battery? Thank you for your patience. The Phenom is amazing. I will send Bering the question on 2.0A vs 2.4A and see what they say. I am guessing it will be fine, but will check. Bering recommended a 2.0A battery pack.

Back