Varmint Rifle Bipod?

ohihunter2014

What bipod are you guys using on your varmint rifles? I am 6ft5 and usually shoot prone with a Blackhawk bipod and tried a 23'' champion bipod that broke. Ticks are bad and grass is high so I am thinking about getting a sitting bipod. I have a primos tripod trigger stick and what a piece of crap! It wobbles and isn't steady for long shots. Do you prefer prone or sitting?

I like sitting better, tried both.

My setup is a Browning(or similar) ‘Strutter chair’ paired with some shooting sticks. It’s even more stable if you wedge your back against something, a post, rock, or building.

I also like to move around some, have backed off from fixed tables & benches.

It depends on what type of hunting or shooting too. With more of a predator hunting setup one needs to be fairly mobile with the quiet setup. For that I wouldn’t want to carry much gear.

Love using a mono-pod. Carbon fiber, expands from sitting to standing and helps as a walking stick as well. Mine was originally bought for camera use, but purchased a v fork for rifle or handgun use.

I am 6’6” and I use shooting sticks or a Harris Bipod depending on the terrain.

Never have a problem. Prone or sitting I have two options

I hope this helps?

Not much for ticks on the Eastern plains thank god!

Well, if you'll be sitting most of the time for your shooting, I'd recommend you save up $300/$400 and set your rifle up for a tripod and ACRA compatible ballhead.

I use bog shooting sticks when scouting and a shorter pair of bod shooting sticks for sitting and calling during the day. When calling by myself at night, I use a tripod, ballhead and the reaper grip for standing. This allows me to scan 360 degrees with a light and/or a handheld thermal unit much easier.

Portable table and/or shooting prone using a atlas or Harris bipod for Priarie dog hunting and banging steel pass 400 yds.

My buddy likes shooting P-Dogs laying prone in the bed of his truck and sometimes shoots from the interior of his truck resting on the door (window).

PS: I understand about ticks which is why I use off. However, Off makes my wife sick so she won’t come if they get to bad.

Last edited:
Harris 100% here. I’ve tried the Harris knock offs and all were junk and broke. The 27” swivel works great for sitting and shooting. They fold up nice and are a solid piece of equipment that works for me. I’ve tried primos sticks and they are ok but not as solid and more bulky junk to bring in the field.

Originally Posted By: DecoyedHarris 100% here. I’ve tried the Harris knock offs and all were junk and broke.

thumbup1.gif

You betcha. My oldest Harris is over two decades old and still works perfect.

I've had good luck with my Primos. I'm 6'4", the tall bi-pod is tall enough for me when standing. When sitting it's a little too tall unless I'm on a pretty steep hillside.

I use the 13.5-27” swivel Harris model on my 22-250 for shooting groundhogs. Works pretty good. I can get up on my elbows enough to shoot it prone or extend it all the way for sitting.

Depends on what kind of varmint. I use a Booger Bench 3 legg and a swivel bipod 6-9 inches. I'm 6'2" and old. Don't like laying on the ground or sitting on the ground. To dang hard to get up and down. I only shoot P-dogs , badgers, rabbits and yotes that will pop out once in a blue moon. Very accurate set up for what we do.

Harris for me for years. However, I just picked up the Bogpod DeathGrip tripod. Now, this was a game changer for me for night hunting this winter. For $160 bucks, I had to try it. Unbelieveable!! No more sitting in the snow, digging a hole for your seat, and bipods disappearing in deep snow. I can now scan with ease, is very stable, able to see much more from an elevation perspective, and nothing sits in the snow. My knees are also shot, so this tripod is great for not having to get up and down and adjusting in deep snow. I know there are a lot of high end tripods out there, and are worth it, but, for me to try the concept of the tripod...this is it, and it works great.

Back