Load data .223 FMJ

Rimrock1

I could use some help from someone with a current reloading manual. Recommended loads for .223 55gr. Full Metal Jacket using 4064 powder.

Thanks

I have not used IMR 4064 in my .223 in years but other than it does like to dispense well from my old Uniflow it works fine. 22.5-23 grains of it should do you well. As always, start a bit lower than that and work up. You may be able to go a bit higher than that but all guns are different so be safe by all means.

Originally Posted By: Rimrock1 Hodgdon lists for a SFIRE bullet. Is that a FMJ bullet?

Its for different bullets. Speer ,barnes & Sfire.. Its just a starting point! As long as you use the start charge listed & work up you should be fine.. I don't have a Sierra manual, but Lyman list 23.0 gr of 4064 as a start for the Sierra 55 gr spitz. Same as Hodgdon web lists for the speer 55gr sp. Hodgdon lists the Sfire start @ 21.0gr & the Barnes TSX listed start is 21.2..
If it makes ya feel safe I would start @ 21.0 gr for the FMJ & work up to max from there.

Just curious I see you have CA shown as you home state. Where do 55gr FMJ's fit in the scheme of things as they aren't very good for hunting and your state has a lead ban.

AWS, I have never shot FMJ and don't plan to. A friend asked me to load some for him. He will just use them for plinkers while teaching his grandsons to shoot. He did not want FMJ but it was all he could get, and that from a friend. Likewise the IMR4064.

Yeah, we have a lead ban, much to our disappointment.

How accurate do you expect the FMJs to be? Some will not group under 2"@100yds. If you are just plinking then it doesn't matter but you can't get good accuracy from some of the bargain 3rd World mil surp components. The Hornady 55 FMJs are pretty good cost wise and can group around 1 moa in a rifle that likes them.

Here's a good source for bullets:
https://nereloading.com/rifle-50/223-5-56-224.html

That's the kind of accuracy that I got out of the last batch of fmjs I had over fifteen years ago. Never bought any more til recently. Back then I only had one AR. Now I think I can find a rifle that they will work better in.

But I'll worry about that later. Right now they're going in my stash box.

My friend that I am reloading these for is not all that concerned about precise accuracy. Will be used in an AR for his grandsons to learn to shoot.

Coyote#1, thanks for the link. That is what I was looking for.

Back