Dragging coyotes

Heymartay

Seems like everyone drags out their coyotes by the hind legs, I just cringe every time. Doesn’t seem like that would be to good for the fur. Just a rant.

i did a little craft project last year and you tubed how to braid para cord. made a double para cord drag about 6' long with a loop braided into big enough to go over my shoulder. couple cinch loops at the end and i put around the front legs and nose. hands free dragging. its petty nice

If you want top $$$ NEVER drag the coyote either direction, your dragging off dollars. I put them in a "Drag" bag even in the snow.

Originally Posted By: HeymartaySeems like everyone drags out their coyotes by the hind legs, I just cringe every time. Doesn’t seem like that would be to good for the fur. Just a rant.

Don't cringe, your round is doing more damage than your drag. Unless you actively drag them 100's of yards across a course landscape, it's not going to hurt. It takes them at least 4 months to rub and start to lose their guard hair. Around here they are constantly going through brush, standing corn, corn stalks, plum thickets, and laying on snow that melts and sticks their hair to it. Our little nominal yard escapade isn't going to hurt a thing.

We've sold hundreds and drug a lot of 80.00 coyotes that we got... 85.00 for.

Using a super light plastic sled children use to slide downhill works just fine. If you're going to set up your hide in the next county, that sled can do double duty relative to carrying your "stuff" out to the hide and maybe a coyote back to your vehicle.

Yep. I started using a rolled up plastic toboggan years ago when my back problems arrived in force. I drilled holes on the edges, and wound a rope through them. It's not perfect, but it makes dragging a 30 plus dead weight a heck of a lot easier.(Old guy)
smile.gif
And it's naturally better for the fur.
Im not sure why the industry doesn't try to promote or sell something like this. I find the lack of these products astonishingly really.

Another jig that I made up is a length of chain linked fence that is longer than the old blue recycle containers we use to use for transporting the coyote corpses. ( I let my fur buyer do the skinning). I fastened a 2x4 on each end and set this on top of the blue container that I lined with visqueen. The end result is that this jig now becomes a bleeding out station for the yote corpse. All of the blood mess is located in the bottom of the blue container that is easily discarded when finished. When I deliver the corpse, it isn't soaked with blood, mud, and cockleburs, thereby looking more appealing for the buyer. and maybe resulting in more $$ for the shooter.

I pick them up by the back feet and carry them or put them on my shoulders and carry them when my arms get tired. I don't like stickers and junk getting in their fur.

YUK!
I don't know how coyotes look or smell in other places but I would never pick one up and put it over my shoulder...
Fleas, ticks, coyotes goo, blood, and then go sit in my truck or walk into my house YUK Nasty.
Just me sorry. I change into my skinning coveralls and shoulder-length rubber gloves to skin them when I get back to the truck. then stow my skinning stuff in a keeper in the back of the truck after, spraying them with Raid.

Yeah they do stink and all that stuff so that's a last resort. I'll carry them for a ways with one arm then switch back and forth most of the time. But I have carried them on my shoulders if I was a long ways from the vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jetmanYUK!

Guessing you might be put off by our packing and cooking arrangements.

20151029_6W.jpg

201411_Coyote%20Hunting-26W.jpg

- DAA

Just took what I thought was a nice coyote to the buyer, noticed a couple small flat spots on the back, parted the hair and freakin mites crawling all over. Not throwing a coyote on my shoulder anymore.GROSS

Dragging nose first on snow all the time. My drag ropes can be used for 1 or 2 and with snowshoes, have a 1" dowel handle so my fingers don't get cold from squeezing tight.

Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: jetmanYUK!

Guessing you might be put off by our packing and cooking arrangements.

20151029_6W.jpg

201411_Coyote%20Hunting-26W.jpg

- DAA

stop showing pictures of the piles, it makes me sad. I get waxing nostalgic.

Back