Low Back Pressure Suppressor for AR

Bowfisher

The only 2 makes I know of are Helix and the Max-Flo. Is there anything else out there that I need to consider?

I have regular cans for bolt guns, I dislike how they treat an AR though, too much back pressure, increased fouling etc. I got a good deal on a demo Max-Flo 224, but it's still in purgatory. Looking for something for a 308 AR and want to make sure I get the correct one.

I have a AGB on a 6.5 Grendel, played with it a little after putting the can on, after 1 shot, all my rounds in the mag are dark with carbon, makes a mess. I admit to not sitting down and turning it completely off and then getting just enough to cycle, but are you saying that you can tune a AGB so that you get no blow-back from a suppressor?

You're always going to get some blow back no matter what, I've got a couple AR's with the Adj block... One being the Armalite Super SASS, great Rifle BTW. It helps a lot adjusting the gas, but you'll still see burnt residue and a "somewhat" dirty mag. Only way to get around that completely is to get a Gas Piston System.

Roger that, just wanted to make sure I was on the same page. I have a buddy that got a Helix OSS and it works well for him on his AR's, he reports no residue at all. The " flow-through" designs may give up a couple Dba to the traditional type cans, but for the pig work we do, I think it the way to go on an AR. When my MaxFlo gets it's papers, I will tune up the 22 Grendel with it, but still need something for the bigger calibers....

Thanks for the info!

Well, got more data. My Maxflo came in, put it on one of the farmstead AR's, vanilla 223, 16" barrel.. Works as advertised. Didn't do a dang thing to the gas system, runs like a charm.

JwNcTKql.jpg

As you can see NO residue in the mag! What a HUGE difference than my other cans. Night and day, I'm sure it gives up a few decibels, but for AR's there is no way I will be running anything other than a flow-through design. With my " normal " 224 can, those cases would be black with residue.

uOMARSfl.jpg

Originally Posted By: lyotehunteri just use my omega 300 it works great.never had a problem

Can you define what " works great " means?

Are you getting no excess back pressure?

No carbon soot covered cases in the mag after firing a couple rounds?

You can run the same number of rounds as before regarding cleaning regimen?

Or are you simply reporting that your rifle " works " ie cycles rounds with your suppressor on?

Buying a suppressor is a time consuming process, and you're pretty much stuck with it after you buy it, so it's paramount to provide good information to other board members, to help them with their selections.

I wish I had known about the flow through design cans before I did. That is for sure, and that's what this thread is about....raising awareness. Dirty AR's suck, IMO.

Whatever back pressure my Omega has doesn't bother me but yes I can smell the gas and the rounds in your mag will definitely be filthy. But it is a quiet can, especially for how short and light it is. I don't regret buying mine and of the 5 centerfire cans I have it is probably tied for my favorite.

Last edited:
Put my Maxflo on a 20 Tac I'm working on. Shot a couple rounds and then pulled the mag out for a pic. As you can see, rounds in the mag are clean. Fired brass is dirty...I have a Superlative Arms piston kit on this one...I will do some tinkering with the bleed.

CIr4yEKl.jpg

Thanks for the coming back and posting your results. I have the OSS helix "in jail". Hopefully the stamp will be approved sometime soon.
Your dime sized group looks great. It is nice when you find a good load.

I personally just clean my ARs more when shooting suppressed. For my uses I never have a need for high volume suppressed fire where the cleaner operation of the flow through suppressors would be beneficial. For me it’s important to be accurate, quiet, and my new thing is short and light. I’m tired of carrying around my 9” cans that weight over 20oz. I will be ordering a few new cans this coming year.

For reference I run a SilencerCo 7.62 Specwar on my 12.5” 6.8 and 8” 300 blackout. And a tbac 30ba on my 24” 223 ar. All have adjustable gas blocks and are tuned to gas slightly more than required to lock back. And all still get much dirtier with the can than without. But I have run hundreds of rounds through the 6.8 and 300 before cleaning and never had any function issues.

^^^

A few hundred rounds in between cleanings, would be fine with me. My 6.5 G would get so dirty, it would barely function after 25 rds...that won't fly with me. I'm too busy to babysit a rifle every other night.

Please keep me posted on your findings with the newer suppressors, after hauling stuff around extensively, I'm a big fan of short and light also, lol. I'm going to get one of my CZ 527's threaded I think..it's one of the lightest rifles I own.

If you have time, please send me a PM regarding your 300BO. I have a bolt action one I want to develop subsonic loads for...curious to see how yours performs on critters.

Last edited:
I have a OSS and really like it. My first one was a Griffin and it mad everything filthy. The brass would stain so bad I couldn’t clean it. OSS Helix is a lot cleaner.

When thinking about an adjustable gas block, look at Superlative Arms. Their's vents excess gas forward out away from the action. I noticed this does help a bit with carbon blowback into the action.

Last edited:
Back