Price Check Remington 700 SPS Varmint

shelton573

I have been looking around for a 223 to replace the one I turned into a 17 Remington. Stopped in the hardware store to get some things and saw a sps varmint in 223 on the used rack. Looks brand new with no visible wear marks. Just curious what it would be worth. They have $500 on it but I think it could be had for $450. Looking at online prices on gunbroker (I know they are usually high) $450 may not be a bad price. I usually deal with dirt cheap savages just for the actions so I’m not up on my Remington stuff. Any input would be much appreciated.

If in newer shape I think anywhere near $450 is as good as you’re gonna find, besides maybe a private sale or friend.

15+ years ago we bought two new Remingtons for donor actions. Our price was pretty good, still $425 or so.

ADL or BDL? A store in Tulsa has the ADL with a cheap scope NIB for $479 IIRC. BDL's bring a little more. Don't hold me to that, I've slept since then.

If its the SPS model, $450-$500 is likely a good number. Keep in mind that these SPS rifles are (maybe I should say were...) an entry level rifle for Remington 700's. Cheaper metal finish and a basic plastic molded stock worth about $10.

These are not the ADL's or BDL's of past times where both had polished blue finishes.........

While they are cheap they do shoot on occasion. I bought three back in 2007. A pair of 223's and a 204. One 223 was a gift to my Stepson and the others were were for me with plans to restock them. With virtually zero time at the reloading bench all three are in the sub-0.5 MOA range. The 204 shoots as well as either of my CZ's and my AR in that chambering hoovering around 0.3 to 0.4 consistently.

I do dislike the X trigger but it is usable. I also found, like many new rifles,the firing pin tunnel is a bit overly large so you have to discount the slightly early signs of pressure in that area.

Greg

I was back in the store today and the SPS BDL version was real close to $600 +/- a few bucks then there's tax so $500 isn't to bad depending on condition.

I'd agree with derbyacresbob and unless a miracle happens, for the next four years if you see something and want it you better buy it on the spot because I don't see many "deals" happening any time soon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GLShooterWhile they are cheap they do shoot on occasion. I bought three back in 2007. A pair of 223's and a 204. One 223 was a gift to my Stepson and the others were were for me with plans to restock them. With virtually zero time at the reloading bench all three are in the sub-0.5 MOA range. The 204 shoots as well as either of my CZ's and my AR in that chambering hoovering around 0.3 to 0.4 consistently.

I do dislike the X trigger but it is usable. I also found, like many new rifles,the firing pin tunnel is a bit overly large so you have to discount the slightly early signs of pressure in that area.

Greg
I agree with Greg and all others reference the market today! Buy it.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterWhile they are cheap they do shoot on occasion. I bought three back in 2007. A pair of 223's and a 204. One 223 was a gift to my Stepson and the others were were for me with plans to restock them. With virtually zero time at the reloading bench all three are in the sub-0.5 MOA range. The 204 shoots as well as either of my CZ's and my AR in that chambering hoovering around 0.3 to 0.4 consistently.

Greg

If you are able to talk with a few good custom gunsmiths, they will tell you that the newer CNC built Model 700 actions are far straighter than the older ones were. Hence with a decent barrel, many of the newer Model 700 rifles do indeed shoot better than their older brothers who often needed "blue printing" to get the action straight.

Cheap doesn't always translate into inaccurate. If you can live with some of the other cost cutting schemes on newer 700 SPS rifles, chances are that today you'll get a good shooter.

Whenever the new Rem 700 actions are introduced by the new owners, I hope that they are as well built as the more recent CNC actions built by the now bankrupt "Remington".

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: GLShooterWhile they are cheap they do shoot on occasion. I bought three back in 2007. A pair of 223's and a 204. One 223 was a gift to my Stepson and the others were were for me with plans to restock them. With virtually zero time at the reloading bench all three are in the sub-0.5 MOA range. The 204 shoots as well as either of my CZ's and my AR in that chambering hoovering around 0.3 to 0.4 consistently.

Greg

If you are able to talk with a few good custom gunsmiths, they will tell you that the newer CNC built Model 700 actions are far straighter than the older ones were. Hence with a decent barrel, many of the newer Model 700 rifles do indeed shoot better than their older brothers who often needed "blue printing" to get the action straight.

Cheap doesn't always translate into inaccurate. If you can live with some of the other cost cutting schemes on newer 700 SPS rifles, chances are that today you'll get a good shooter.

Whenever the new Rem 700 actions are introduced by the new owners, I hope that they are as well built as the more recent CNC actions built by the now bankrupt "Remington".

Well said. Modern machine work can be ungodly good. Sometimes guys refuse to admit that progress has been made. The good old days were neat but we are leaving them in the dust on many fronts.

Greg

I would buy it and hope for the best, it ain't gonna get cheaper.

I, picked up a sps .223 from Buds last year for $450ish, was going to us it as a donor. Put together a known accurate hand load recipe through it, just less than MOA @ 100, box stock gun, crappy trigger and all.

Fine tuned the load, and it got one hole groups with 52 SMK. (not every time I ain't as good as I used to be)
blush.gif

It holds MOA with 50&55 Varmint Nitemares.

Finish leaves a lot to be desired, barrel started to show surface rust within a couple weeks, I keep it wiped down with gun oil, in gun sock, in safe, when not in use and it has been fine since.

Good luck

I doubt you could buy a new Stevens 200 6 months ago unless someone had it stashed under their bed in a box. They quit making them years ago.

Last edited:
Well I ended up buying it. I misread the label the first time. The rifle was actually brand new so any marks were just from being handled in the store. Brought it home and put a 3-16 sightron on it and did some shooting. Triggers terrible and stock sucks like everyone said they would, but I think she is going to be a shooter. Me and my buddies have a bunch of mildly loaded 223 ammo that we took to Wyoming this year that I tested in it. Shot about 6 different loads and the worst shot just over an inch. Two of the loads shot about .5ish with the rest being somewhere around .75. I think with some load development it will do great but I bet it will get taken coyote hunting a couple times this winter and do just fine with what I have.

I went ahead and got in on a Black Friday triggertech deal last night. That should help it out. Stock will be next. Thanks for all the info!

Back