Best 6.5cr

G mack

New to the forum not to coyote hunting. So I don't start an argument of who is the best, let's keep it more specific. I'm about to get another rifle. I have a 223, now I'm needing something for long range. So on the average, what 6.5 is most accurate OUT OF THE BOX? And which and the best customer support?

I picked up a TC, the cheapest model, on a sale. So far it has shot both types of factory ammo I have put through it well under MOA. Trigger is heavy but crisp, stock has a little flex, action is not real smooth, but so far it shoots exceptionally well given its price point.

I bought a Savage Model 110 High Country. Just under $900, Camo Accu-stock, spiral fluted barrel and bolt, Cerakoted FDE and a pretty decent trigger. Accuracy with my hand loads is very impressive for a bone stock out of the box rifle. Usually just a ragged hole at 100yds.

I'd look at the Ruger Precision, Howa HS precision or Howa APC Chassis rifle beyond that you can put together something on your own.

Last edited:
You may want to consider a 6mm creedmoor or 243 win or other 6mm over a 6.5 Creedmoor. A 6mm is going to offer you more options for "varmint" bullets. The 6mm cartridges will in general shoot higher velocities over a 6.5 Creedmoor which many coyote hunters would prefer.

There are many "box" rifles that shoot well. I have multiple Savages and they all shoot well. Ruger, Howa, Tika and others all make box rifles that can shoot very well.

The 260 Remington is a good round too. Browning has been pretty good for me, the neighbor likes his Creedmoor from Browning.

Awesome info guys thanks. I may look into a 6mm creed. I didn't think of that one. I was thinking of a bergara but I do like savage. Got some more thinking to do. My .223 is an ar but I want a bolt gun this time.

I bought my youngest a Browning X bolt micro midas. So far I'm very impressed. She and it are lefties, and I'm not. Still, shooting left handed with factor HSM ammo I was able to churn out la couple sub-inch groups. It's an attractive and slick little rifle too.

Tikka or Howa would be my choice. Both feed and extract very smoothly as well as have excellent triggers. Others work but may be a compromise in some areas.

Savage 110 Switchback at Sportsman's warehouse $399 in 6.5 Creedmoor after rebates, instant savings.
Savage 110 Tactical in 6mm Creedmoor has a 5R rifled barrel. Can be found for about $625 online.
Also available in 6.5PRC.

Bergara is a great rifle, Sauer is a great rifle, Weatherby, the list goes on. Whatever your budget, there is a 6mm/6.5mm out there for you.

I had a savage 12 lrp. Loved that rifle. Always been happy with savage. Never herd of the switch back. Might have to look at it.

Originally Posted By: greengt88I went custom...700 Action, Hart Barrel, KRG Bravo Chassis...PRS matches was the intent when building.

Once you go at least semi-custom, its hard to go back to an off the rack rifle.

Back