Biggest bow buck....public land

Yellowhammer

Staff member
I hunted all day yesterday on National Forest about 45 miles from the house. I saw a deer feeding on acorns right after day light about a 100 yards out but never got closer. Not long after it drifted off, a herd of 8 small hogs came through about 50 yards away. By 10:30 nothing else showed so I got down and packed out to get some lunch and scout some places for rifle season.

I was back in there by 2:30 but moved a few hundred yards away to another spot on a creek where I have had success before. About 4pm I heard something over my right shoulder and turn to see another hunter walking in. He hadn't seen me and I signaled to him and he backed out.

About 5pm I caught movement where I had seen him and it was a buck slipping out of some thicker cover. I thought he would come on out to the fire line, but he cut the corner into the creek I was. I got ready and he followed the creek to within 30 yards. I drew back and he was angling away. I gave a mouth grunt to stop him and let fly with 2 blade rage.

He bolted up the bank and disappeared. It happened so quick I was not ever sure if it was a hit. I got down and found my arrow sticking in the ground covered in blood!

I had to trail a ways as I was a little back but quartering away.

My biggest buck with a bow.
50574501391_02ddedc157_c_d.jpg

Back