Baiting

Paul, I didn't try to eliminate it, but I did have them apart and I'm sure it could be done. I may go back and do that. I got 4 sensors and 2 of them did not light the red glow so I put those facing the bait pile from opposite sides, and the other two with the lights, I positioned to catch them coming from opposite directions. It is getting on time to recharge mine since it has been a year, so I'll have a look and see what I find.

My coyote highway must have a roadblock so far this year, but Jan., Feb., March, and April always seems to produce best here at Coyote Crossroads.

Paul, without knowing for sure about the Hosmart sensor, I have a feeling you can eliminate the glow. If you can open it up then you should be able to see the source of the glow.

Coyote Crossroads has seen many a yote leave this world.

Yes, that's what it is. I took one apart today. There are two tiny led's. One is blue for charging and the other is red to signal the unit is working. I put a little dab of liquid electric tape over the red one and that solved it. I'll do the other one the same way when I bring it in to charge tomorrow. Only thing is you have to break a little glue loose at the end of the coil antenna to get the board out. Simply enough with a little screwdriver.

My wife is having some health issues, but hopefully that will get better soon. Sure hate missing the dark moon nights though. My bait pile hasn't done much of anything this fall, but that isn't all that unusual until spring anyway. I'd sure love to be calling these dark nights though.

Has your weather turned cold there yet? Road kill deer don't hold up well here until we get a lot colder than we've been so far.

It has turned cooler. We have had some snow with some nights in the teens and 20's. But, generally, 30's to low 40's during the day and below freezing at night. Pretty standard fall. I have a roadkill deployed now which is holding up well...just no interest it seems. Having said all that...we all know how baiting goes...luck of the draw.
All the best wishes to the wife DU!!! Hopefully she will be 100% soon!!
Bait

Thanks BP, she has improved greatly. Roadkill seems to work best after deer season is over and all the discarded carcasses are eaten here.

Illinois night season is back going. I bought a cz527 in 17 hornet to shoot around the house. I was walking from my shop to my house and the coyotes were howling in the crp field next to my bait pile. I grabbed the 17 and my mouth calls because the fox pro wasn't charged. I made two invitation howls and two came running in. They were circling down wind so I did some kiyi and they ran right to me. Shot the first one at 40 yards. Dead right there. I started to kiyi again and the second one stopped and turned sideways at 160 yards. Dropped him too. Very impressed with the 17 hornet. Excited to get the bait pile back going.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpThanks, is that the old style Berger with the little meplat or the one with the bigger opening?

I bought them in March 2020. Not sure if they are new or old but the meplat seems pretty small on them.

I think the older style was called Match and the newer style is called Varmint. Seems like they are working well for you anyway.

Good job, Bait. That one is colored pretty. Sounds like the 65 V-Max did a good job.

I have a Ruger American Predator in 6mm Remington on the way. Thought about trying DoubleUp’s favorite, the 58 V-Max, but also ordered some 60 gr. Sierra HP’s. If you get anymore with the 65’s, be sure to post results.

Back