Hunting Boots , Need input .

SlabtownSteve

I have severe nerve damage in left hip as result of a horse wreck , and what they call "drop foot " layman's term ,Dam thing don't work . I'm looking for a good insulated hunting boot prefer lace up 10 in or taller to support my calf and ankle. Insulated and comfort is the top issue, foot feels like it is asleep most of the time and by the time I feel pain of the cold it is a very painful ordeal to get back in and warm it up again.

TIA

slabtown steve

I'd go with a good brace and something like a sorel. Tight tall boots usually don't go with warm.

Winter before last I crushed my heal/ankle on the MC and finished the season hunting with a brace, wool socks and a sandal, temps weren't that bad upper 20's to start. I tried tennies but the mesquite thorns went through the sole.

I’d recommend going to a store and fit checking several. Pay extra for a better boot if you can.

I go online and search discounts for the cheap $89 Bates boots I use for work, but I know my size and how they fit, plus they’ll be worn out in 6-8 months.

When I pay $400-600 for high end motocross boots or hunting boots, I make dang sure to try them in person, because I’ll have them for 10-15 years.

I’m an an admitted boot snob. I happily pay $600 for Italian motocross boots, but think $129 is a lot for a helmet.

I have Danner,Schnees,Canadien Sorrel,and Cabelas brand and all have their time,temp and moisture place.Do not think there is any 1 boot that covers all conditions.So I guess pick your poison for your hunting conditions.

Kenetrek, have kept my feet warmer than other brands I have tried(Rocky,Danner). I have White mountain style pac boots that I wear snowshoeing at home or when snow is deeper but not quite snowshoes. I have some buffalo wool socks I'm waiting for, should allow me to wear uninsulated boots later in the fall.

I wear dinner and like them. This pair is on its second set of soles. But for your issues I think I would call schnees, explain your problen, and see what they have to say. Jeanette would also be a great choice.

Consider the "Hot Hands" as a supplement. Get The "18 Hour" ones at Walmat. I won't use anything else and they work on feet. Warning: These things will burn you if you put them next to bare skin and you may not have the feeling to detect it soon enough to prevent injury. Good Luck!!!

Originally Posted By: AWSI'd go with a good brace and something like a sorel. Tight tall boots usually don't go with warm.

Winter before last I crushed my heal/ankle on the MC and finished the season hunting with a brace, wool socks and a sandal, temps weren't that bad upper 20's to start. I tried tennies but the mesquite thorns went through the sole.

rule #1 for winter fishing - if your wading boots are too tight, you restrict circulation and your feet *WILL* be cold.

i wear a size 10½ hiker... but i buy my wading boots in size 12 to allow for the neoprene booties on the waders + a good pair of wool socks. so make sure you size your winter boot fit to accomidate your insulating layers. Snug is ok, tight is bad! Tight restricts blood flow. restricted blood flow = cold feet. If you're allergic to wool, get a pair of silk socks for liner socks. NO COTTON SOCKS!

rule #2 for winter activities - if your core is not properly protected, your extremities WILL get cold quicker as your body will restrict blood flow to protect your core temp.

Layering is key!

start with proper moisture wicking base layer.
synthetic (think fleece, sweatpants, etc) or wool insulating layer over that - NO COTTON! (seeing a theme here about cotton?
grin.gif
)

wind break outer layer . a gore-tek or similar fabric rain gear can work for this too if you dont already have specific winter outerwear, or its just not in the budget.

wear a good hat! head = lots of blood flow = lots of heat loss potential. again none of that knit stuff. synthetic insulating layer (fleece and/or thinsulate) with a synthetic wind break layer on the outside.

make sure your under layers are breathable and moisture wicking and it'll do amazing things toward keeping your extremities warm.

this the same formula i used to use for snowboarding, and currently as noted above use for salmon/steelhead fishing when water temps are barely above freezing and outside temps are often blow freezing. If you think 15-20*F air temp is cold, go stand belly button deep 38*F water for 4-6 hours at a time.

HTH

If you don't walk too far the "bunny boot" is one of the warmest boots that you can find, they are heavy though, it's the white version of the black "mickey mouse" boot. I have a pair for ice fishing and have been in frigid water with them without getting cold feet.
They are warm, comfortable, waterproof, and will last a long time, the only drawback is that they are heavy.

Don't overlook the socks. A liner sock to wick moisture away and a good heavy merino wool sock for warmth.

Back