Agm 160

riverboss

Anyone use one? Thinking about it for a scanner not a identifier my shot will be max 125 yrds just want something to let me know there is something coming so I can identify with my thermal.

Most people who start with a statement like this end up selling the cheaper scanners and getting better scanners later on. When coyote hunting, you are using your scanner 98+% of the time. Why skimp and look through a blurry picture where you probably can't tell a mouse from a rabbit or coyote from a deer. I also tend to get headaches if looking through blurry, crappy thermals.

I would love to get a better one but as if now I can't swing it, it has to be better than scanning with my scope all the time, or would a red light be better?

Honestly save your money. A 160 resolution thermal is just not going to do what you need it to do. I agree with Kirsch. %90+ of the time you will be using the scanner, don't skimp or you'll be sorry. If at all possible try to find, at the very minimum, a used FLIR Scout 240. A 320 Scout will be a lot better. I had one, sold it to a buddy 3 years ago and it is still working %100. Another friend just bought one and he is very happy with it at the price point. A For about 2x what the AGM cost here is a link to a used FLIR 320 on Ebay. IMO it is a good deal on a very capable scanner.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FLIR-Scout-III-320-Monocular-Night-Vision-Thermal-Camera/333781748878?hash=item4db6f14c8e:g:sSwAAOSwbl9fp2Nn

I have the AGM ASP 160, I totally agree with the other responses. But with said, in my opnion if thats all you can afford and you want something right now. The 160 is only gonna be good for bait piles and short tracking distance. My bait pile is only 50 yards from where I sit. Detection and identification with the 160 is subjective, watch some YOUTUBE videos. It's ok for my application at that distance. Sightmark Wraith and 160 will work fine for bait piles, $1000 for both. Or just save the money and buy once for better equipment. I know how it feels to want something right now, you'll be much better off saving your money in the long run.

Eye fatigue bothered me when I used a "cheaper" FLIR for scanning. I believe it ran at a frame rate of 9Hz. It did a great job detecting incoming yotes, but the resolution was sub-par and when upgrading to a 60hz thermal I've noticed the clarity really reduces eye strain when scanning for several hours. Sold the older one to my brother in law a year ago and he still uses it with no problems. We go with what we go with and anything is better than nothing I suppose.

Back