still hunting gets it done

fratri

Interesting hunt today... Life was getting in the way so didn't get a chance to get out until this afternoon....(First time out was today).
I reach the farm around 3:20 pm... Plan was to still hunt the bush on the north side and if nothing is seen to make a big circle and sit to watch the south side of the bushline (cut corn) at last light.......

I start my still hunt on the north bush bumping a doe and a small 4 pointer right away... The 4 pointer stopped at 35 yds out, I put the crosshairs on him but knowing I have the weekend to hunt already made up my mind to let a small deer or doe pass today.... After 20 seconds or so, he bounds off following the does path....cool... hopefully I see a bigger one.....

I continue on my way for 15 minutes or so still hunting before I spot a dog and a dog walker coming my way... [beeep]..... There is a waste of 15 minutes of still hunting, this bush is done at least for now...... He apologizes (he should not be there).... He leaves, so now new plan... I decided to leave this bush and go to the overgrown old abandoned orchard.... I have seen deer in there before so thought with this good wind to waste an hour of my time checking it out then go setup along the cut corn (south side of the farm).

Keeping the wind in my face or across my face, I begin the walk through the tall grass always looking ahead for any deer I might bump..... I did this for about 200 yds (20 minutes) before I came to the crossroad... (Decision time).... The narrow trail I have been walking forks, left path goes to slightly higher ground, right path slightly lower ground...... I decide to go left, slightly higher ground hoping it will give me a better vantage point... I take about 4 steps (always looking forward) and see this deer bedded down on the peak of the trail looking at me at what looks like 20ft.... (turned out to be 11 yds) I see the head move, I instantly see good size antlers... I the muzzleloader, try and look through the scope but can`t see anything too much sunlight coming through blinding my crosshairs..... I start to think about saying something so he stands, no sooner the thought crossed my mind that he does stand. At this point I manage to place the crosshairs on his neck and take the shot right away.........It was a bit tough to see with all the sunlight coming in through the scope but got it done.

At the sound of the shot all I see is smoke, no deer........ I stand there listening for it, (running away and crash) but don`t here anything at all.... Start thinking maybe I missed, he was too close and I shot high....... As the smoke clears and I take my first step toward the deer, there he is, dropped in his tracks, did not move a muscle at the shot. Dropped like a ton of bricks, beautiful neck shot..... It was 4:10 pm.....

I managed to drive the vehicle really close, put him in the sled, loaded him up and now he is currently cut up and placed in the basement fridge, cooling off....

This is the trail I was walking on, the deer is about 11 yds away.... This is from where I shot him...
50567255253_a90b08be2b_c.jpg

Where he fell, right where he was bedded...
50567255308_35d7af35db_z.jpg

The CVA Wolf
smile.gif

50568012226_bdbddae5e4.jpg

The pose (dragged him out for the pic)
50568140642_1642d1e39b.jpg

The bullet, (300 gr SST) it did not get a chance to fragment
50567255313_cb609f73a0.jpg

Back