Soft point bullets and AR's

eja

I have a new WOA barrel and need to start working up a round for it. I've always liked sierra 55 gr sbt's and hornady 55 gr spire point but got to thinking a tipped bullet would be better. When shooting groups it seems I always have a flier. I'm sure its my poor shooting but was wondering if the feed ramps and soft points might be contributing to the problem. I was thinking about trying some nosler 55 gr BT. Any suggestions?

I am shooting 55g hornady and some Remington 55g both soft points with good accuracy from my white oak upper 1-12 twist. but the best accuracy was with the no longer made nosler solid base 55 sp wc. wish I could find more. using both h335 and vv133 powder. not sure how much accuracy you are looking for, I am getting around 3/4" which is enough for me.
Barry

Originally Posted By: panhedI am shooting 55g hornady and some Remington 55g both soft points with good accuracy from my white oak upper 1-12 twist. but the best accuracy was with the no longer made nosler solid base 55 sp wc. wish I could find more. using both h335 and vv133 powder. not sure how much accuracy you are looking for, I am getting around 3/4" which is enough for me.
Barry

I loved the 6mm 100 gr. NSB bullet; fortunately picked up a bunch of overruns before they were discontinued.

Didn't have a .223 until after the Nosler discontinued their SB bullets, but every .223 I've shot them in loves the 55 gr. NBT's. Compare the .223 55 NBT to the 6mm 100 gr. NSB and 85 gr. NBT (I'd bet the 100gr & the 85 gr use same jacket); about the only difference is the BT.

38723842782_0cb196c2da_b.jpg

Regards,
hm

Unless you have some crazy feeding problem, soft points will be just fine. Actually lead tips can be pretty deformed and not have an appreciable affect on accuracy at normal ranges. I got some 123 Amax blems once that had noticeable dings in the jacket a little ways behind the points. They still shot right with the others even to 500 yds.

I have never been able to get those SP's to shoot very good in auto loading rifles with NATO chambers.

The Nosler Ballistic Tip in 55 grain seems to not only tolerate jump, but thrives as the largest chamber rifle i own shoots them sub 1/2 MOA.

Another bullet that shoots well in even bad barrels is the Sierra #1390. You have to make sure you are not jamming the lands on that one though.

I like how you are going to change bullets instead of many different powders. That is the way to go.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will definitely try some nosler BT's and the 65 gr Sierra as well. That is if I can ever find any in stock.LOL Good luck to every one.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI found exceptional luck with the 55g Hornady soft point and the Sierra 55g BTHP with Benchmark and cci 41's.

sorry I never got your pm until today, anyhow, I got a good supply of the hornady and have gotten good groups with them, and there are some more in stock at my local store. thanks for the offer, Barry

If you hand feed a couple of 5 round groups you will have data to compare how well your loads tolerate mag feeding. Otherwise fliers can indicate more load tuning or shooting technique issues. Starting with bullets that jump well and proper powder burn rate for bullet/cartridge, as well as bullet weight/twist rate will save time and components.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootIf you hand feed a couple of 5 round groups you will have data to compare how well your loads tolerate mag feeding. Otherwise fliers can indicate more load tuning or shooting technique issues. Starting with bullets that jump well and proper powder burn rate for bullet/cartridge, as well as bullet weight/twist rate will save time and components.

What he said. When I do load development in an AR, I single feed to eliminate the variables related to feeding and jamming bullets into the feedramp.

I like soft points but I don't like shooting them out of my AR's unless I chamber them and shoot.

For hunting when you load and unload the gun for different stands the points get mess up.

Some AR's are better throated than others but they still smash em up after a few sits.

The Speers run the jacket out to the front farther than most and work good.

Most of the time I like HP or OT, or plastic tip if I am going to chamber the rounds a lot.

Except for the 65gr serria GK for deer hunting, I load them shorter and they don't get beat to bad.

Back