Nikon’s lifetime scope warranty has fizzled

Dultimatpredator

I bought a Prostaff 5 2.5x10 bdc scope brand new from optics planet a month or so before Nikon announced they were discontinuing sell scopes. I love my Nikons and figured they would just repair my dozen and a half Nikons I’ve purchased over the years if they ever failed. As Murphy’s Law would take affect I have had that pro staff 5 2.5x10 scope sitting on a gun and collecting dust. I’ve had to the range twice and shot Less than 20 to 40 rounds through and it failed. It was shooting a foot left at one yards and four inches high with the very next shot after zeroing it in. I took it back to 50 yards and the next shot was 7” right! I adjusted it 16 clicks left and my bullet hit on the same hole as the first. I adjusted it 16 more to the left and I was completely off the 2.5’ square paper target. I pulled the optic off, called Nikon and they told me to send it in with my original receipt. I sent it Usps so I could track it. They have had it for about a month now. I received an email that it was on the bench over a week ago and today I get an email saying it’s not repairable because it wasn’t an “economic” repair for them so Nikon emailed a voucher to use on their website for $229 which they felt was a suggested retail price. First of all I sent my receipt showing I paid $273 and some change for it a little over a year ago. Second, why would I want a voucher to use on their website when I need a scope and they don’t sell them anymore. I don’t want a range finder, a camera, or camera lens! I called Nikon support a few minutes ago and was as polite as i could be and explained I wanted my optic repaired, replaced (could even replace it with a similar magnification optic), or refund my purchase. I can’t believe after selling optics for decades they don’t carry enough parts in stock for repairs...after stop selling scopes for only a year or so. What scares me is I have a good dozen and a half other Nikon Monarchs and Pros staffs and will have to go through this again in and when they fail. I’m sure I don’t have receipts for all of them as well. I still have brand new Nikon scopes in boxes I haven’t used yet. I might remove all the Nikons after hunting season and eBay all of them. I will use the proceeds to buy Leupold or Vortex replacements.

I was also told by Nikon of they end up refunding me and I buy a NIB replacement Nikon from a retailer with old inventory still in stock they will only give me a 7 year warranty on it.

That's a bummer, I also have a lot of them. Luckily I have not had any problems. I figure if I have a failure just throw it away. Leupold all the way!

I can say of all the Nikons I own I have had three fail. They were basically bad roght off the get go or within 50 rounds of ammo through each. The rest are going strong. I’ll have to get the ones I have NIB yet and test them to make sure I don’t have anymore defective optics.

I owned one Nikon and it came on a used rifle I bought. I had to return it to Nikon almost immediately for repairs because it would not track.

I have always been leery of buying any Nikon because I saw so many "refurbished" Nikons for sale at different dealers.

Originally Posted By: Dogface
I have always been leery of buying any Nikon because I saw so many "refurbished" Nikons for sale at different dealers.

I have wondered about this myself, while I have never had to return a Nikon I have been slowly getting rid of them and going to Leupold. Anyone can put out a dud on occasion but the guys I know that have sent Nikons in for repair have had hit or miss service. I'm down to a single Pro Staff and it is sitting on a shelf at present.

Maybe Nikon should have stuck to cameras, they are very good at those IMHO.

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorI will use the proceeds to buy Leupold or Vortex replacements.

You might give Athlon a consideration. I got a Vortex Viper and
it's good for accuracy, but just so-so on clarity. Later got an
Athlon Talos, a cheaper scope, but optical clarity was superior
to the Viper. Then I got an Athlon Argos, roughly same price
range as the Viper, but with crystal clear optics and great
accuracy.

I was never a big Nikon guy although ive ended up with a few here and there. I am not at all surprised to hear that they are selective on their repairs now. I am really fond of the prostaff rimfire scopes for their value and performance. Hopefully they dont give me any trouble.

I rolled the dice since I love my Nikon’s....

I received my $229 refund check yesterday. I also sold a NIB 3-9 prostaff on eBay two days ago for $180.00. I bought the 3-9 prostaff from Dick’s on sale for $79 this past spring. I saw they were selling on eBay for $185 so I figured if I sold it for that kind of money I could upgrade to a $174.00 pro staff 7, 2.5-10 with a 30 mm tube and a front focus which I need for my eyes. I ordered a refurbished 2.5-10 Monarch 3 for $223 and the new prostaff 7 for an additional $27 out of pocket. The company I bought them from has a no hassle 15 day free return so I will inspect them when the scopes arrive. I figured. If the Monarch is scratched, dented, or has reign marks I will return it for another PS 7. I was told most the refurbished scopes look like brand new.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DannoBooneOriginally Posted By: DultimatpredatorI will use the proceeds to buy Leupold or Vortex replacements.

accuracy.

Funny recommending a scope from a brand new, unproven company with nearly no track record to replace a scope from a well established company who discontinued their scope line.

Not saying its wrong, just ironic. Myself, I would stick with established manufacturers. Vortex doesn't even give me the warm fuzzies.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadOriginally Posted By: DannoBooneOriginally Posted By: DultimatpredatorI will use the proceeds to buy Leupold or Vortex replacements.

accuracy.

Funny recommending a scope from a brand new, unproven company with nearly no track record to replace a scope from a well established company who discontinued their scope line.

Not saying its wrong, just ironic. Myself, I would stick with established manufacturers. Vortex doesn't even give me the warm fuzzies.

Sounds like the owner. lol. I wouldn’t take an Athlon if you gave it to me. With all the extremely weird power range configurations I’ll guarantee my cheap tasco varmints will be clearer at high magnification. Maybe after about 15 years on the market and normal hunting configurations I’d look at them. I’m sure that company won’t be in business in a year or two.

My Pro Staff 7 for $174 and refurbisnshed Monarch for $223 is on its way. I have a 15 day free no haste return on both. If the Monarch is beat up I will return it for another or another pro staff 7. For a $174 for a 2.5-10 30mm tube NIB Nikon I might buy a couple.

Last edited:
Well apparently a lot of people beside myself like Nikon’s because the 100 plus NIB pro staff seven 2.5-10’s that were still on hand when I ordered last Friday are all gone at Natchez shooter supply for $174. When I talk to Natches they said they had 166 on hand the week prior...and for months. They told me not to worry because there hadn’t been many sales for either of the optics I wanted for months... so I would assume Black Friday,Christmas, or deer hunting must’ve got people buying them. They were about half off so it was a great deal imo. I did have a chance to talk to one of employees Monday. My order wasn’t shipped yet and I asked if they could go back and open up some of the refurbished Monarch 2.5 by tens to make sure I get one that looks like new. If I didn’t do that I’d be a little nervous because I was going to return the monarch if it was beat up and get another $174 pro staff seven that now does not exist. There’s a couple on eBay for $280 bucks but I’ll pass. It seems if you go on eBay you can sell your Nikon scope for almost double what you paid for it so there is a demand yet. I was reassured by Nikon and Natchez that the Monarch glass is better than the Pros staff 7...which I already knew. Now that the 7’s are gone I wish I ordered another one at that price. I’m putting the pro staff 7 on my 450BM gun site scout and will finally start shooting it. My guess is some hoarder probably cleaned out Natchez and figured they could make 100 bucks a pop on them on eBay and Amazon where they are getting sold for a $100 more. The problem is I own so many guns that I would have to refinance my house to buy $1000 plus optics for each of them.

Last edited:
I've almost picked one up a time or twice a decade ago or so...glass was always good, but the "adjustments" were Not repeateable, nor reliable.

I had read about those issues from friends testing them for matches....I did pick up some binoculars a decade or so ago...and they have failed and been shipped back to the manufacture three (3), times.
Each time they get repaired, they get shipped back with a notice that they were dropped...of which they have never been dropped, no, not once.
When in use, they hang around my neck, no where else.
Alas, they sit in the house, broken again...and have been for some time. I haven't sent them back, it seems to be no use.

I have three Monarch scopes and three pairs of binoculars that are Nikons and like them a lot. Won't buy another Nikon product from Nikon. I'll buy Leupold.

I finally had a chance to Mount the replacement refurbished Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 from Natchez shooters supply and the warranty exchanged leupold 2.5-8 vx111i on both Remington 7600’s today. The leupold 2.5-8 went on the 7600 35 whelen carbine that I had the Nikon Prostaff 5 issues with. I can tell you it was not the scopes fault. I found the barrel loose! The gun was sent to Remington for feeding issues and I had just gotten it back and mounted the Pro staff 5 at the time. The Magazine tube was all scratched up when I bought it so I asked them to replace it while it was there as well. They never did replace it but they sent along a separately packed new tube in the box with my gun. I did try to take it apart before I sent it in and the magazine tube was rock solid…. I could not spin it loose. I did inform Remington it would not brake free before sending my gun in for feeding and accuracy issues. Well, when I went to put the scope on today the magazine tube backed out a good 2 full rotations and the barrel was moving back and forth. I noticed the pump flexing and moving so much it was touching the barrel when I placed the gun flat on the table. I can believe I never caught it before I ladder tested it. I also can’t believe it still put three all in exact same hole at 100 yards even with a loose barrel! I would assume they can never tested the scope when they got it back either or they would’ve told me there was nothing wrong with it. I think they just assumed that they couldn’t fix the scope if something was wrong with it so they offered me a coupon to use on their current inventory.

Last edited:
Athlon has great scopes that track good. They have been around for several years now.

I think they are the best bang for the buck. They are what Vortex use to be. You get a way better scope for the money than you will ever get from Leopold

I have a few different ones and just bought some Ares binoculars on close out that I like. I recommend them to anybody looking for a scope.

Old post but figured I’d follow up. I bought a refurbished Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 with the refund I received from Nikon. Bought it from Natchez shooters supply. Think I paid around $229 if I remember. It looked like brand new. Finally unboxed it a month ago. I installed it on my 30-06 and sighted it in. After sight in i installed the turret caps back on. When I did the up and down turret turned down. I found the screw that held the turret on was broke and the threaded part of the screw was napped off in the scope. Without being snugged down it sat high enough that the turret cap was grabbing it and turning it. I tried to remove the broken threads myself with no luck so I sent it in. They didn’t even try to repair it and offered a voucher for $399. I requested a refund check and it’s on its way. I think I’ll try a 2.5-10 vortex viper this time around. I did buy a 2.5-10 pro staff 7 along with the monarch on the same order that was on a close out for a $196 . I tested it the same day on my 300 RUM. It worked just fine but is not as bright or clear as the Monarch was. Pulled the prostaff 7 off and will end up using it on something else.

Last edited:
I been a Nikon fan for years and hate they quit making scopes. On a good note, I picked up a 3-9 Nikon Buckmaster NIB from Atwoods Farm and Ranch Supply for $100. Works great on my Knight BP rifle.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI been a Nikon fan for years and hate they quit making scopes. On a good note, I picked up a 3-9 Nikon Buckmaster NIB from Atwoods Farm and Ranch Supply for $100. Works great on my Knight BP rifle.

I did the same when Dicks offered them for $97. I sold it on eBay a few month later for $199 and bought a Nikon pro staff 7 2.5-10 with a 30 mm tube on close out for $197! That scope works great along with the other dozen of my Nikon’s. Hopefully the rest of my optics won’t fail.

Last edited:
Back