REVIEW: Bering Optics customer service

Rookietjx2

The week before last, I got a chance to hunt with my new Super Hogster. I was really impressed with the clarity, and I liked the fact that it was easy to record with. Unfortunately, I ran into an issue when the outside temperature got to mid 30s and my screen froze up. At first, I was thinking it was battery related, so I switched from my Anker pack to cr123 batteries. This didn't solve the problem, so I headed back home to grab my Trijicon. When I got home, I noticed that my super hogster was working again, so I headed out to another spot. We called a coyote in, I shot it, and, shortly after, the screen froze up again. I immediately took it off the rifle and set it in the truck on the heater vent. After a few minutes, it was working fine. This led me to believe that it was being affected by cold which was odd because it was mid 30s, not anywhere close to sub zero Temps. We called it a night, and I left it in the truck until the next morning. I took it into the house, and it wasn't working properly. Ten minutes inside the house, and it was fine.

So, I called Bering Optics, explained the situation, and they decided I needed to send it back to them. They received it late Thursday, replaced the defective screen, tested it by throwing it in a freezer, and they're shipping it back today.

Personally, I understand that there isn't a product out there that is perfect every single time. What matters to me is how a company handles problems and how quickly they handle it. Overall, I give Bering Optics a B+. I can't give an A+ because I called them on a Friday, and I had to remind them on Tuesday that I needed a return shipping label. I understand that Fridays are typically busier and people are thinking about the weekend, so they probably forgot about the return shipping label, so it's not a huge deal, but I still can't give a perfect score unless it's deserved.

Am I satisfied with their service? Yes. Will I continue to recommend them? Absolutely.

Rookietjx2, glad to hear it is being taken care of.

There have been a few Super Hogsters where this is happening. My prototype or final release has not displayed this characteristic so far. When it happens, the thermal displays the Bering Optics logo and doesn't proceed or show the thermal image when it is used in colder conditions.

The screen was changed for the Super Hogster to better display the 12µm image in comparison to the traditional Hogster 25 and 35. I haven't received confirmation from Bering but their early thoughts were they may have been sent a batch of screens that were not cold-weather certified. I would highly recommend giving them your email address and they will send a .pdf shipping label if this is happening to your Super Hogster to expedite the process.

Same situation here as I had posted. Called this morning at 9:30 as it happend to me on Friday. No answer so I left a message. Couple hours later Dianna called me back to get a little info and emailed me a shipping label. I’m sendIng it out tomorrow. Good CS so far I would say.

Sent mine back on 10/20, it is on its way back, supposed to be here on 10/30, the way shipping is going I will not stay up waiting for it. So far customer service has been good. I hope this is the only time the Super Hogster has to go back.

I did receive confirmation from Bering the issue with the Super Hogster logo staying on the screen was due to a small batch of non-cold weather certified screens sent to Bering. If you are not 100% sure if you will be impacted by this, put your Super Hogster in the freezer for 15 minutes or so, and then start it up and if gets past the logo screen, you should be fine. You don't want to find out later on a cold night that your unit isn't working. If it doesn't get past the logo window, either call Bering at 817-453-9966, and provide them your email address and they will send you a .pdf shipping label to print, or contact them at info@beringoptics.com. They will turn it around very quickly.

Originally Posted By: zheltonLooks like my super hogster gonna hafta go back for a screen... 15 minutes in freezer and yep wont go past logo screen Better to find out now than when on a hunt. They will turn it around quick. Bering Optics is awesome to work with.

Got my thermal back today. I was pleasantly surprised to see all of my settings were still there. I'll double check zero tomorrow, but it should be dead on.

I was wondering about that. That’s cool. Not that I don’t like shooting and wouldn’t be a problem sighting in again. But with ammo impossible to find it helps

I think mine has to go back too now. Had it out hunting twice at 70-72 degrees and everything worked fine, but last night it was 37 (which I still don't consider to be anywhere near COLD!)and by the second set it was having this logo hang at power-on problem. We'll see what they say tomorrow, but hopefully they will turn it around quickly. Have a new extractor coming in for my old bolt gun too this week, so hopefully I'll get some things tuned up and be able to get back after them. 1 problem coyote down so far that I would have never gotten with just a red light. I just found him in the field and closed the distance without being detected. Pretty sweet.

Originally Posted By: ToroDo the hogster 25 and 35 have the same screen as the super? They do not. The Super Hogster has a different screen to better utilize the 12µm sensor. I have never heard of a 25 or 35 screen acting up under cold weather, but I suppose it is possible. I ran a 35 down to -20°F actual temps, and it worked fine. I wouldn't recommend leaving it outside for hours in those temps but it worked fine for me. With the correct screen installed, the Super Hogster is temp rated the same as the 25 and 35.

Got out last night after getting the SH sighted in, mine and my hunting partner's worked flawlessly. We ended up getting 1 female. Scopes worked great at 30°F.

Got an email yesterday that mine is in its way back. They just got it on Friday. It’s a quick fix and will have it on Thursday

Originally Posted By: murdocGot an email yesterday that mine is in its way back. They just got it on Friday. It’s a quick fix and will have it on Thursday

Same here They got mine on Friday and I got a tracking number that says mine will be here Thursday
thumbup.gif

Ya just cant beat that kind of service..

My SH was shipped out this afternoon now, should be back to Bering Optics by end of day on Friday, 11/6. We'll see how fast they can turn it around but no complaints so far - seem very responsive.

Back