243 or ? Help

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGI’ve decided that since I predator hunt the most (90 plus days a year), I will start with a dedicated predator bolt action rifle.

Here are the specs on my build:

Trued/blueprinted Remington SS action, precision ground heavy duty SS recoil lug, and a 20” threaded Criterion (Remage) light varmint SS barrel in .243 with a 10T. I also went with a TriggerTech Special trigger and a Magpul hunter stock with the Magpul magwell kit.

All parts, dies, Laupa brass, headspace gauges and tools, etc. has been order. The barrel has a lead time of 10-16 weeks.

I appreciate everyone’s feedback. I will follow up with my complete build and load development.

Note: Being that I don’t care about hides (bigger the hole the better), I’m going to start with the 75 & 87 grain V-Max bullets.

Congrats on your project. May the time fly by.
Consider RL15, N160, and 4831SC for slower powders and Varget & H4350 for faster powders.
The new for 2020 N160 will be temp stable and include anti-copper fouling agent that VV tested to show how it extends the time between cleaning.
Their website has a report comparing old to new and the data is impressive.

I couldn't wait so I started using Tubb Dust anti copper fouling additive which really does cut down the copper deposits at the end of the barrel. Someday all the powders will have this stuff...

I have 8lbs of R15 but find it to be temp sensitive, but I use it for my 308 summer time loads(banging steel).

I also have Varget (308 Hunting loads) and H4350 that I use for 6mm Creed (wife's), and 6.5 Creed.

Even though it’s probably not ideal for the .243, Varget may work for the 75gr. However, from most .243 reports (mixed results) Varget seems to works best with the 55-70 grainers and even then, reports have been mixed.

I’m going to try H4350 with the 87 grain and may try Varget too just to see what happens (watch for pressure signs). I’ve had great success using the Fed 210M primers in the 308 family of cartridges and will try them since I have a bunch

In short, going to try what I have first. I’ll just have to run some ladder tests and see what happens.

Most importantly, I’m going to enjoy the .243 ride

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGI have 8lbs of R15 but find it to be temp sensitive, but I use it for my 308 summer time loads(banging steel).

I also have Varget (308 Hunting loads) and H4350 that I use for 6mm Creed (wife's), and 6.5 Creed.

Even though it’s probably not ideal for the .243, Varget may work for the 75gr. However, from most .243 reports (mixed results) Varget seems to works best with the 55-70 grainers and even then, reports have been mixed.

I’m going to try H4350 with the 87 grain and may try Varget too just to see what happens (watch for pressure signs). I’ve had great success using the Fed 210M primers in the 308 family of cartridges and will try them since I have a bunch

In short, going to try what I have first. I’ll just have to run some ladder tests and see what happens.

Most importantly, I’m going to enjoy the .243 ride

I haven't used Varget for 243 even though I have it. Nosler lists it as their most accurate powder tested as you correctly stated for 70gr. It is nice to have so many choices.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogDid you get your barrel yet?

Got it this week. Installed the barrel with the proper headspace and put every together to test fitment and to see how she’ll look.

2899.jpg

I just bedded the recoil lug this morning and hopefully I’ll make it to the range to fire form the brass when checking zero on my deer rifle (opening day Nov 7th) this week.

My wife has been very sick since June and have taken her to the emergency room 12 times in 33 days so not sure about getting to the range or deer hunting. I would give it all up in trade for her wellbeing!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hm1996Know about that, TX. Prayers for your wife (and you).

Regards,
hm

Prayers back at you and We’ll take all we can get. The treatments have been hard on her!

Thanks it is greatly appreciated and needed.

I just picked up a Tikka T3x Superlite in 243 Win and have started load development but am not that far down the road with it yet to have one dialed in.

That being said, I am working with Barned 80 gr TTSX, IMR 4064, Fed GM210M primers and Federal brass. I did pick up a box of Barnes Vortex factory ammo in the 80 gr TTSX and it has shot extremely well. I wish I knew their load data for that factory ammo. I am very optimistic with this combination I can get a very accurate load worked up for it.

I put practically the same rifle together myself. I used a blued SPS 243 sporter as the donor, changed out the J-lock for a Gre-Tan, MagPul hunter stock with mag assembly, CBI light varmint 9 twist 243 and tuned the factory trigger to just under 2 pounds. I have been shooting 80 grain Bergers with H414 powder. My rifle shoots just under an inch, (3 shot groups) at 200yds.

Hope both you and the wife are doing better. Hang in there.

When everyone gets healthy and you get to use that 243 a couple newer powders we ve had good luck with are R16 and R23.... temp insensitive, de-competing agent and great velocity.

Back