Polymer lowers and carbon fiber barrels for my AR

andersce100

I'd really like an AR-10 in 22 Creedmoor but the 10 lbs (plus) weight is a sticking point. I don't do a LOT of hunting on foot but I do enough to know that I don't want to carry a rifle that over 10 lbs.

Anyone used the poly lowers and carbon wrapped barrels to build a "lightweight" AR-10 that shoots inside 1 MOA? If you've got a rifle like that how much does it weigh and do you like shooting it?

Are the poly lowers stiff enough to provide good accuracy? Do they last as long as the metal lowers. Do the carbon wrap barrels save enough weight to make them worth their hefty price?

My coyote hunting bolt rifles are in the 7 - 9 lb range and most days that seems like enough.

Thanks

Chris

a lower really doesn't have anything to do with accuracy. the poly lowers i have owned and used have been fine. and i have owned quite a few.

i will also say there is very little weight difference between a poly and aluminum lower assy... very little.

i know nothing about the carbon wrapped barrels.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot
i will also say there is very little weight difference between a poly and aluminum lower assy... very little.

Yeah I was wondering about that. Google tells us that there is just a couple of ounces to several ounces so no help there.

Looks like I'll have to buy a poly lower and weigh them myself.

Having owned quite a few poly lowers what would you buy if you were going to buy another one?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: andersce100Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot

Yeah I was wondering about that. Google tells us that there is just a couple of ounces to several ounces so no help there.

Looks like I'll have to buy a poly lower and weigh them myself.

Having owned quite a few poly lowers what would you buy if you were going to buy another one?

Thanks

NFA. Life time warranty.

I have 2 rifles that I run throughout the fall/winter for coyotes. Both are Aero precision AR-10s with one having a Wilson Combat Ranger 16" 243 Win barrel and the other with a Proof Research 20" Carbon-wrapped 6.5 creedmoor barrel. Both rifles shoot great, but the Proof costs about 3x what the Wilson did. The carbon barrel does allow you the ability to save weight, while running a heavier contoured barrel. If you prefer a sporter or lighter contoured barrel then weight reduction using carbon would be minimal. Just my opinion.

I ran a 20in 243 last year with what I'd consider HBAR contour and a 15in Aero handguard. It topped out around 14lbs with thermal and suppressor. I switched to a 22in BSF Carbon ported barrel and Smoke industries carbon handguard and im right at 8lbs with a naked gun which puts me under 10lbs with thermal and suppressor. Now when I break it down with manufacturers specs of each component none of those numbers add up but my scale doesn't lie. BSF and Smoke offer military discount so I was around $800 for the barrel and handguard which ill pay gladly for my weight savings. The Aero handguard I originally had wasn't but $50 cheaper than the smoke. It sure makes night hunting much more enjoyable saving a few lbs

Back