.22 bolt action rifle suggestions

critterBgone

Hey everyone, I'm going to be buying a .22lr bolt action soon and was looking for suggestions.

I'll be using it mostly for squirrel hunting and plinking and I have a suppressor on the way so it'll have to be threaded.

So far all I've done is look online at Savage,CZ,Ruger, And Tikka. Any first hand experience?

Thanks in advance.

You'll never hear me steer anyone away from a Tikka or Sako, they generally shoot very well and the quality is always there.
That being said, CZ makes a fantastic rimfire as does Anschutz, the latter being a bit more expensive. Savage rifles are good shooters generally speaking but they leave a lot to be desired in build quality and QC, IMO. Ruger's American isnt bad but for the money, I would buy a T1X from Tikka and not look back. Ive seen the Tikkas used for as little as $400 and new for not much more if you find the right deal. Make sure you check the thread pitch on whatever you're looking at so it will work best for you.

For the record, I shot my fathers CZ455 with Federal GMM and it shot very well for a sporter weight gun. Ill see if I cant dig up the target.

Last edited:
voodoo
w00t.gif

I have a CZ and Sav. both LR's plus I have a 22 Mag barrel for the CZ 455. In 22 LR the Sav is slightly and that is slightly but the CZ is m favorite and my wife likes the SAv, I think it is the thumbhole stock she likes.

CZ with the Mag barrel doing it's thing.
1gYQvc.jpg

Last edited:
I really really like the CZ. Savage makes an accurate RF but like stated before the overall quality isn't even close to the CZ. Most CF factory rifles dont run as smooth as the CZ RF. If you're wanting to spend some money Cooper, Anschutz, Sako.

CZ!

I have more than a few 22's. I have a CZ 452 in 17HMR and a 452 .22. Without doubt the CZs are the most accurate out of the box rimfires I own.

Thanks for all the replies. I've narrowed it down to CZ and Tikka. The others mentioned look very nice but out of my budget.

If I can get my hands on a CZ and Tikka it'll come down to what feels right. How are the triggers between the two?

I'm sure both are good. CZ 452 if you can find one is adjustable. I've ignored the CZ game after the 452/455 series. Both adjust. Tikka has a good reputation and I'm sure their triggers are good too. Check rimfire central.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogDon't rule out the Ruger 10/22 varmint if weight isn't an issue. Most of those shoot very good as well.

^^ this

with norma subs i pick which eye-hole i want the bullet to go in.

10 shot groups at 50 yds fully covered by a dime are common when i do my part right.

The new CZ 457 has been fantastic. Fully adjustable trigger, great accuracy, and plenty of models options to choose from. They have multiple threaded barrel factory options. I now have a few 457's, and all shoot really well with several types of ammo.

I've been using my ss 77/22 boat paddle for over 20 years (25?). The only issue I ever had was a magazine failure. It's minute of squirrel eyeball shooter.

Last edited:
Just wanted to update, I went with the Tikka 16in barrel and couldn't be happier. The trigger on it is amazing!

I mounted a Hawke vantage scope with the BDC for subs. Hawke says to zero at 50yd and the drops should be right. So after getting it on paper I zeroed at 50yd and shot a .30 inch 5 shot group using CCI segmented subsonic ammo! I couldn't believe it.

So then I wanted to try the BDC, we have steel targets at 100. I was easily hitting the 3in plate so I wanted to make it a little harder. I aimed for the bolt that mounts the plate to the chain and hit that also, twice!! I was shocked to say the least.

The scope BDC's go to 200yd, I'll take it out this weekend and see how it will do at longer ranges. If anyone is looking for a new .22 rimfire I highly recommend the Tikka.

CZ457, the best performing, best value, best in versatility (can change barrels to 17HMR and 22WMR and adjust trigger).

they have been nothing but awesome and as accurate as you can get without spending $1000.

Tikkas I've heard are nice too.

Back