Optisan Mamba 1.5-6x42

Coyote#1

Anyone else using this scope? I bought mine with the RAQ reticles which is a german #4 with ill dot.. Gave 130.00 for it..
I really like the reticle! The weight not so much! but it is a 30mm tube with metal screw in scope caps & electronics.. Its also very temperamental in mounting!.. I dont like the fast focus design but can live with it. The adjustments are practically non audible & the clicks not to positive! Reminds me of the old Redfield trackers with no click adjustments.
The scope I purchased seems well built & is dependable & tracks well with concentration.
I got it mounted on a old single shot break action Rossi rifle (my truck gun) & its sighted in for 200 yrds & thats where I intend for it to stay.

The glass is very bright & clear and the dot doesn't obscure your target.
This is a low light scope! so I'm happy with every aspect of the reticle.. When it gets to dark the red dot starts to glare, but thats well beyond shootable light IMO. Over all not a bad scope! other opinion welcomed & likely will vary..

I had never heard of the company so googled it, it getsome very high praise from the airgun crowd and has won some matches on recoiling airguns(springers). It seem s the company has there own factor and is pretty serious about QC. Time will tell if it was a good purchase.

The 1.5-6x40ish is one of my favorite scope powers, huge FOV on the bottom end and enough X's on the top end to reach out a ways, I even tied for first in an eggshoot(not PM) with a 6x scope.
I have 1.5-6 scopes by Meopta(1), Burris(2), Sightron(1), B&L(1), Alpen(1) and Kronus((2). They are not common so I pick them up when I can, mostly on deep discounted sales as they aren't as popular as they should be I believe that all but the Kronus and one of the Burris scopes have been discontinued.

Keep us posted on how you like it.

Chinese made junk. I don't understand why people on this site are so "frugal" when it comes to spending money for quality optics.

Or, when a $150 scope will do everything you need why spend $1000? I've never spent over $300 on a scope and have won the PM Egg Shoot, and have killed game for 55 yrs with scopes and have never had one fail in the field. This past convention I shot the Egg Shoot with 50+ yr old scope and made it to the third round of the Masters and then on the way back to camp killed a coyote with it.

They are aiming devices, not magic game getters if it holds zero and you can see what you are shooting at what more do you need.

Now if your into dialing turrets yeah a better quality scope than a mid priced or wanabe tactical scope is more likely to work out for you.

B&L Balvar 8 circa 1960-70's(I bought 2 for $60 mounting them is a little more complex) Sav 22-250 after the egg shoot.

uT9GMx.jpg

I sometimes like to try inexpesive stuff just to see if spending more is really necessary. If you check out reviews and warranties(incase they fail) and spend some range time with them so you know what to expect things usually don't go wrong. I usually buy from Amazon so I can send it back, they even pay the postage.

$90 Weaver Kaspa 1-4x24mm on a Model 70 222 Rem it killed a number of coyotes but I found it to be a little bulky for my need, it was clear and held zero on the little rifle. Someday it will go to some new shooter that can't afford a scope.

X5aAGk.jpg

$90 JS e-caller with remote that calls coyotes just fine.

JZ51KG.jpg

I've been a fly fisherman for 63yrs and have caught a variety of very nice fish, fishing some pretty decent waters and I sure don't need a $800 Orvis Mirage 5wt reel or $900 5wt Helios rod to catch fish, my old Eagle Claw 5wt has done yeoman duty but I will say that I just upgraded to a Korean 3wt graphite rod and reel combo($90) that is a step above the fiberglass Eagle Claw.

Last edited:
I like to be optimistic when it comes to optics.. Can't put a Leupold or Burris on every gun! Especially a cheap truck gun like the rossi..

FWIW, alot of people may not know this, but airguns (specifically springers) are very hard on scopes!
I was into small game hunting with a Benjamin trail gas piston rifle for a while.. These rifles are capable of turning the best scopes into rubbish in short order. So, if the airgun community is recommending a specific scope, you can bet its capable of taking punishment. Like AWS said, time will tell! but you can get a lemon in any scope you buy.

Besides, If I wasn't optimistic, I would have never seen what a bargain some of the Athlon scopes are! The Argos is a very nice scope indeed..

BTW AWS, Nice rigs & coyote kills.. I use the same grim speaker e-caller myself.

Last edited:
Back