Baiting

Hmmmm, it is open on my screen. It also appeared in the post preview prior to posting. A computer wiz I am NOT!! Let me try another couple pics...

2020 Zone by jrhranch, on Flickr
2020 bait site up and running.
Early action (2) by jrhranch, on Flickr
Little problem on the pond was turned into coyote chum
smile.gif

Early action (1) by jrhranch, on Flickr
Some early traffic on the game cams.

Hopefully these will work.

Night before last another coyote showed up at the bait site. I arrived at the cabin shortly before dark and got set up and settled in for the evening. Around 9:00 PM the alarm sounded. It was the coyote. By the time I got the scope turned on and the window foam top half off so I could see out, the coyote was gone.

I have noticed over a period of time that the coyotes don't seem to like the illumination given off by the sensors I have been using over the last couple of seasons. Looks like I am in dire need of something that works better than what I have, something more stealthy. If anyone knows of a sensor that doesn't give a glow when tripped, please let me know, or if anyone is good with electronics and can modify a sensor, I would welcome information.

Anyway, the coyote, a light-colored female, returned at 1:05 AM but still wouldn't come down to the bait. When I opened the window foam, she was looking at me, or toward the cabin. Just as I was preparing to take a shot, she began to trot in the direction of the cabin. I fired a shot, hitting her in the left front shoulder. She jumped and rolled down hill so I gave her another. This made coyote #5 for the season which I self-impose to begin in September and go to March.

The round I used this time was the 90 gr. Speer TNT out of the 6.5 Grendel. Still, I am not satisfied with the Grendel and putting coyotes on the ground where they stand. I admit though that I have not given the 90 TNT enough time to say one way or the other, and I know that shot placement does indeed matter. So, I hope to get more opportunities this season to determine if the 90 is what I need. If it doesn't pan out, then I will go back to the 6x45 that seems to drop them very well. One thing about the Grendel and thermal scope combo though - it is accurate and consistent. Later this morning I busted a crow at 100+ yards.

50553003127_410d80545a_c.jpg

50553004367_209d08d099_c.jpg

50552139633_febf65d9d5_c.jpg

50552139623_c841d3e053_c.jpg

Great job 06! You are definitely into the coyotes this year. On the sensor light issue. I think most sensors have those...WHY, I don't know. Nothing like telling the bad guys where your sensors are. Anyway, on mine, I just peeled them apart and covered the LED with the high temp red RTV silicon. Nothing to do with high temp, the red is just to cover the light. Works great...no more light emitting when tripped. And, I agree, the coyotes see that!! They also see the low glow cameras. I went to a "no" glow with the IR, problem solved. I could definitely see the difference in the photos. I think they really key on that sensor light when it trips.
Cheers,
Bait

Baitpile, the sensor I am using is the "1 by One" unit. I got a set of 5 sensors with one receiver. It works very good in detecting, but the light is so bright on the transmitter that it illuminates more than the front window. It's almost like half the unit lights up. I have noticed that coyotes won't come down to the bait since I have been using these.

I started out with Driveway Patrol brands years ago, and they worked on the same frequencies then, so I purchased a few units (expensive) but it worked great. I had several sensors at the bait site and the receiver in the cabin would work with all. Now DP doesn't work on the same frequency, which is a bummer. It gave off a slight red glow, but not like these I am using now.

So, let me understand better - you are placing a red film over the window sensor? Does it still glow some? Doesn't interfere with detection?

No. Mine are the Chamberlain driveway alert. They have a little LED light inside the plastic body that lights up when the sensor is tripped. My also would light up the whole sensor it seemed, because the LED was so bright. I took the plastic body apart, you have to on these to install batteries. Then I removed the circuit board and smeared red RTV silicon on the LED light on the board. The red RTV covers the LED light and doesn't allow the light through. Hopes this makes sense. I would take a photo, but both sensors are deployed right now.

Somehow, you should be able to access the circuit board that the LED light is on. If you can, just smear red RTV over the LED on the board.

Edit: I just looked at your sensors on line. I see your battery cover in the rear. You should be able to find some screws to peel that case in half. It's just a matter of getting to that LED on the front of the circuit board. You could try and cover it in the front of the unit, but afraid you won't be able to cover it enough and the the whole sensor will still light up inside.

Last edited:
I don't think so. It is soldered into the circuit board. I think it would be to risky with the other circuits that are involved. Tiny work!!

Is it possible to maybe wrap the whole sensor with black duct tape excluding the sensor lense and battery cover? Ahhh...probably not...you would still have the glow through the sensor lense.

Last edited:

Thanks. Week, I know DoubleUp runs that brand of sensors, so I asked him the other day about it. He said some of his sensors light up and others don’t. Go figure.

Another issue I have at the short distance of my site (60 yards) is the beep coming from the receiver, which on occasion I felt the coyotes heard. I remedied that by clipping the speaker wire inside the receiver, extending the two positive / negative leads out the face plate and attaching a female jack to accept an ear bud. I plugged in an in-line volume control first (available on Ebay) and then attached the ear bud. That way I can control the volume to be more comfortable.

So, if I can modify these sensors to not give a glow, then I will be in good shape. I plan to try to find the red RTV that Baitpile mentioned and experiment a little.

If that doesn’t work, my next resort is to contact the folks at Hosmart and see if they can provide me with two or three no-glow sensors.

Would be nice to find an electronics person who could either modify existing sensors, or build one specifically for our need.

06, any auto parts store has it. You can get it in a small tube. Again, the reason I say high temp, is because this is the red stuff that will actually block out the light. Solid color, not like a clear silicon.

Back