Suppressor on 204 Ruger?

twehri89

I'm shopping around for a suppressor to put on my 204 Ruger. The gun is primarily used for coyotes and prairie dogs. This is the first suppressor I'm looking into buying so I want to try and keep the cost relatively low if possible. I'm interested to hear what some of you guys may have used and what you think about them. Thanks in advance for all the help!

There are lots of choices and options out there that is for sure. Some are better at noise suppression than others and some are lighter than others. My rifle suppressors are either TBAC or SAS.

If you want maximum sound suppression and one of if not lightest suppressors on the market the TBAC 223 Ultra 7 is about as good as it gets. The downside is all the top rated suppressors will also be a little more expensive than the middle of the road stuff.

Nobody likes spending more than they have to but suppressors are kind of a lifetime purchase so I'd suggest spending a little extra coin and getting the best one available.

If you have other rifles you'll want to run suppressed a Ultr 7 or Ultra 9 in 6.5 or even 30 cal would allow you to use the same suppressor on everything 6.5 or 30 caliber and smaller. You'll lose a little sound suppression using a 6.5 or 30 on your 204 but it'll give you a pretty wide range of rifle usage.

I use my TBAC ultra 7 and ultra 9 30 cal suppressors. Work great on bolt and AR applications! Prairie dogs and coyote hunting. I chose to not bother buying small caliber cans. Just 30s.

DesertRam, is your Turbo something that can be put on a bolt gun? Looking into that, it makes me wonder what the purpose of the hider is?

Originally Posted By: twehri89DesertRam, is your Turbo something that can be put on a bolt gun? Looking into that, it makes me wonder what the purpose of the hider is?

Sure. You would need to thread the barrel to attach the flash hider, which has the QD connection for the suppressor. I don't know the real purpose of the flash hider; perhaps it's simpler to QD onto that than the barrel; or, perhaps it is to allow faster removal of the suppressor for transport/use of the firearm in a jurisdiction that does not allow the use of a suppressor.

I can tell you it's a piece of cake to install the flash hider on a threaded barrel and spin the suppressor on to that.

The newer generation of Turbo suppressors (T2) can also be direct threaded if you buy a direct thread adapter so you won't have to use the flash hider. My second Turbo T2 should be clearing soon, they are a very nice budget .223 can.

I really appreciate all of the input and information you guys have given me. Has anyone heard anything about Odin Works Suppressors before? I'm thinking because its a little bit longer than the Turbo that it might be a little bit quieter?

For budgeting consideration, look at Witt Machine. They make several reasonable priced suppressors, the Canooter 223/556 (260.00) may work very well for you. Only adds 3.2" length and 8 oz to barrel, full auto rated, 1 1/8" diameter. I'm considering trying one from their line for my 3rd stamp.

I use the omega 300 on my 204. I bought the 223 flat cap and it works great.. sounds quieter than 22lr imo. Makes the 204 even more fun to shoot.

I have shot my Harvester and Sig 223 on my 204r, both work great and very accurate. Some day I will do a poi and grouping comparison. I could take 204,223,22-250 barrels for the TC Dimension and the suppressors and do swap and shoot. Only have done a barrel removal and re- install check on the 22-250(after barrel was muzzle threaded) and Harvester added, it took 3 total clicks to zero. My scope is receiver mounted, so I expected some poi shift.

Last edited:
A great resource is Silencer Shop’s website. They test a lot of the suppressors that they sell. They list with and without db readings at the muzzle and the ear so you directly compare suppression against the dimensions of the suppressors and cost. I put those on a spreadsheet and went with the YHM Turbo 556 followed by a YHM Resonator 2 (30 cal) a few months later. Have had a chance to give these much of a workout yet.

When I checked the statis of my first stamp(Harvester) and it was no longer pending, I quick threw together a 18" AR upper in 223, since I didn't have any rifles with threads. Sounded just like my 10/22, I knew then I would shoot suppressed mostly. This summer, first pd trip shooting suppressed. Only down side is dirtier AR and AR brass. First winter, 5 straight coyote doubles(22-250 21 3/4" barrel) on spot and stalk hunts, head shot the first and the second would get up and go 10-15 yards and stop looking for it's mate. Only time I have seen the second stop close, is when I shooting my 17 rem.

Originally Posted By: twehri89DesertRam, is your Turbo something that can be put on a bolt gun? Looking into that, it makes me wonder what the purpose of the hider is?

The QD flash hider or the QD muzzle brake is for a quick on and off. There are direct threaded suppressors, but I prefer the QD's myself. I use the QD muzzle brake from YHM on my .30 cal Phantom and on my Turbo. You can actually use the same brake on either the .22 or the .30 cal suppressors from YHM. THey are built so that you cannot "accidentally" put your .22 onto a .30 firearm. The brake can act as a sacrificial baffle protecting your blast baffle inside your suppressor. The Turbo is a good choice since it is a single skin can and is pretty small and light. It is relatively inexpensive but is still full auto rated and economical.

There are a lot of good choices in suppressors out there. It really comes down to how much you want to spend and the various bells and whistles on the suppressor itself.

I have a Lane Scorpion 556 and a Banish 30. I shoot a few calibers through them like 243, 223, and 204. The 30 cal was more expensive but a much nicer and overall more useful product. Sounds wise especially with 204 the difference is not noticeable. Any advice I would give is that qd mounts have been unnecessary to me but low weight is my biggest desire. When that .5-2lb hunk of metal is at the end of your barrel you really notice the weight.

I have a Griffin and a OSS. The Griffin works great on bolt action rifles but you have to time the muzzle brake. Had it on my ARs but had too much blow back. OSS has very little blow back and keeps the ARs a lot cleaner but still have to screw on a muzzle brake. Muzzle brakes can add a lot of cost if you have several rifles.

I'm pretty late to fill you guys in on what I decided to go with, sorry for that. I ended up ordering a Harvester 300 right before Christmas. I got all of the paper work taken care of a few weeks ago so with any luck I'll have it before this coming fall. Thanks for all the feedback and help breaking things down for me.

I sure like mine ! Might not be quite as quiet as a specific size caliber but I use mine on 17 Hornet, 204, 223 & 243. Can use it up to and including a 300 win mag if I choose to. To purchase just 1 suppressor, this was my choice too.

I think you will be happy with it too !

Back