Fur Friendly 204

Personally, I would look into the hollow point bullet options such as the Bergers or the HP bullets marketed by Midsouth and Midway. Overall, they are much better for saving fur than the ballistic tipped bullets are.

Originally Posted By: baitpileFollowing with interest.I don't like the 32 vmax. 39 blitzking shoots well, but not enough data on fur yet...

I just picked up two boxes of the Sierra 36g's to try out at the range. They look like a good little round.

Is that the loaded ammunition Sierra has out? Read some stuff on it and IIRC folks were waiting for them to release the bullets for reloading. Maybe I'm all wrong...can't remember...

edit: yep, just looked it up. The Prarie Enemy.

Last edited:
Winny, yes, have heard good things on the 34 and 35 HP's. I believe I have a sample of the Midsouth 34's...just haven't loaded them yet. Just looked and also have some 39 gr Speer TNT HP's as well. Guess I have some work to do.

I've heard mixed reviews on how the lead free bullets expand so maybe give the Nosler 32gr lead free a try.

I hope Sierra would hurry up and release that new 36gr Blitzking as a component and not just loaded ammo for the 204 Ruger. That new 36gr Blitzking should make for a really sweat match to my 20-222.

I've had very mixed results with Berger's on coyotes. Not a 204 but I've shot a lot of coyotes with Berger 75gr VLD's in a 22-6mm and sometimes they'd act almost like a FMJ and leave a small entrance and only slightly bigger exit while other times they'd leave huge gaping holes the size of a grapefruit. They've always killed coyotes fine but how they performed with regard to expansion has been very mixed.

Nosler 40gr. ballistic tip. Purple tip. Exit hole on broadside shot is less than a dime. 3 stitch's and done on exit hole. Knock on wood haven't lost a coyote in 2 years of using them in my 204 Ruger.

Rudy

So, on the .204 topic, what barrel would you go with for a semi custom on a 700 action? I'm thinking finished at 24" in a #5 contour, 11 tw. I like just a bit heavier barrel. Looking hard at Krieger or Pac Nor. Sorry for the hijack, just popped into my head.

35 grain Berger hp is a very popular bullet for 20 caliber coyote shooters. So far I have had pretty good success with them in my 20 Practical. Have yet to find the absolute perfect coyote cartridge and bullet. Have had some sort of 'failure' or tear up to some extent with every combo I have used.

Originally Posted By: baitpileSo, on the .204 topic, what barrel would you go with for a semi custom on a 700 action? I'm thinking finished at 24" in a #5 contour, 11 tw. I like just a bit heavier barrel. Looking hard at Krieger or Pac Nor. Sorry for the hijack, just popped into my head.

To some degree it'll depend on what'll fit in the barrel channel of the stock you're using. I wanted that old school Rem 700 BDL Custom Deluxe look when I had my 20-222 built and knew the Remington walnut stock I was using would be limited as to what would fit in the barrel channel. I went with an unfluted #4 and still had to do a fair amount of stock work to make the barrel fit.

I always use a barrel contour that best fits the stock I'm using. If the stock has a larger barrel channel I'll go with a larger contour so they match. To me, nothing looks worse than a big barrel channel with a small contour that looks like a hotdog laying in a canoe. On the flip side a barrel contour that is to large for the stock will require excessive work and makes the side thin which looks equally unattractive.

My two "go to" barrel companies have pretty much always been Krieger and Hart. My 20-222 wears a 11tw Hart finished at 26 inches but I'm going to have it shortened up a couple inches so your plan of using a 11tw finished at 24in. is a good plan.

If you're in a hurry the last Hart barrel I used was delivered in four weeks from the time I placed the order till it was sitting on my doorstep. My Krieger barrels usually always take six months.

That 11tw Hart on my 20-222 shoots extremely extremely well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: reb8600I have always had good luck with the 35 gr Berger being fur friendly.

I've talked to many 20 cal shooters that their coyote bullet of choice is the 35 & 40 grain Berger's.

I'm shooting 39 grain Sierra Blitz King bullets from my CZ model 527 "Varmint" .204 and it has done great with light fur damage and great knock-down power.

I have went to the Nosler 40 bt(they are accurate and fur friendly)after trying several different bullets in my 204 and 20p. I have 10 twist barrels. I would like to try the BIB 40, but don't want to buy 500 just to experiment, only need 100-150 for load work and a couple dozen kills.

when I was shooting coyotes with my 204 ruger, I used 40 gr V-Max, which put them DRT about every time ... and exit holes were rare. But if i lived out West where fur had a good price tag on it.. then I'd be like you guys and take a good hard look on the best bullet.... along with the best speed for that bullet size and design. It just seems like a HP bullet would be best... because it probably would NOT have any splash issues and would still be allowed to penetrate and explode inside without exits.

This thread makes me want to go chase a coyote.... Hmmm... kill them all Guys.

Originally Posted By: dan brothersThis thread makes me want to go chase a coyote....

years ago i found it was easier to shoot them than chase them. silly man.

Back