Baiting

Thanks Crazyyote. The injury was pretty bad, but by the grace of God I am doing well in only 6 months. The doctors are amazed and so am I. I am back at it and in pretty good shape.

It's been a while since I posted. I'll try to get pictures and video added soon.

Took 4 coyotes at my place in the past month.

I missed one with my 223 at night. 3 days later my wife shot it at the same spot with the same gun while I was at work. Dropped it in its tracks. About 75 yds away.

Our cat went missing for a few days a couple weeks ago. After the 2nd day I sprinkled some smoked salmon in front of my bait pile alarm. I got two coyotes that night. First was shot at 60 yds with 450bushmaster, subsonic, using a red light mounted to the gun. No video recording.
Second was shot with 223 with DIY nightvision and was recorded.

Then about 4 days later a coyote came up my driveway and I dropped it with the 450bushmaster, subsonic, with the red light again. No recording of this one either.

I checked my game cameras a couple days ago. Since I've shot the last coyote(a week ago), I have pictures of one coyote, one bear, and 2 racoons that have come through.

Sounds like you are in a good spot thumper. My advice is to sell the 450 or at least get a different sight for it. You know how we crave the videos lol.

Early this morning before daylight the Grendel and thermal dropped coyote #4, a female. I have been playing cat & mouse with this coyote for several days now. She would show up at the bait site, I hunted the following night and a no-show. The third night rain was in the forecast so I didn't hunt. Wouldn't you know it showed up that night. Then I went another night and no-show, so I stayed last night and it all came together. The night was totally quiet with no alarms or action at all up until around 0610 in the morning. I slept good most of the night and then the alarm sounded.

The coyote was nervous and wouldn't commit to the bait site, and stayed up on the hillside about 20 feet from the edge of the hay field and bait site. I took the shot quickly before she decided to leave. The view is too bright and I didn't take time to readjust the setting. The bait site itself was adjusted just fine, but I have noticed that when I scan up on the hill in the field, the view gets considerably brighter. As DoubleUp mentioned, it's probably due to the scope looking upward toward the sky more.

Distance was roughly 60 yards and on base mag of 2.2 with the Pulsar Apex XQ38. I was once again shooting a 100 gr. Sierra HP in the 6.5 Grendel. While all coyotes to date have been killed with this load, I am not completely satisfied with the performance. I have a feeling the bullet is too tough to expand properly at Grendel velocities. I have a box of 90 gr. TNT's that I need to try, and perhaps the 95 gr. V-Max.

The first two photos were taken earlier in the summer. Leaves are colored up and dropping now.

50503388127_1a57b749e1_c.jpg

50503388112_d55d428055_c.jpg

50503383492_2a69f1c0cb_c.jpg

50503383467_ca2d0fdfea_c.jpg

50503230096_babd4ca8c8_c.jpg

50305089948_615f68c631_c.jpg

Thanks guys. The best season (September to March) I have had is 5, which was last year. I am currently at #4 since last month. Just hoping it doesn’t bottom out, which happens sometimes. Sometimes I go for months inbetween sightings or killing one. As to seasons, I have a self-imposed one of Sept-March even though we can hunt them yeararound. I wouldn’t know how to act if I got numbers like DoubleUp does.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Yep, sounds like there’s a lot of critters around, Thumper. What kind of accuracy are you getting with the 450?

I was getting terrible accuracy (2 shots touching and then flyers 5" away at 60 yds). I then discovered my cheap scope mount was moving. I put different rings on and the groups dropped down to about 1.5" at 60 yds.

I think it can do better if I play with the load, clean the gun, and get a better rest. But for now I found a load that works and got about 30 rounds loaded so I'm just using those.

I shot another one this weekend. Got it recorded. It went down hard but then got up and scurried away. I couldn't find it the following day. Did find blood on the dirt where I shot it. Hopefully sometime soon I'll get time to edit the last couple videos and get them uploaded for you guys =)

I first saw this coyote in the field about 11 P.M. The beans has just been picked, and there was plenty of dead and injured critters for her to eat.

It took two hours for this coyote to finally work close enough for a shot. Got her killed at 1 A.M.

She was an old female, but didn't show any sign of ever having produced a litter. Teeth were pretty well worn down to numbs. Pretty light colored coyote. Here's a couple of pictures, and the video.

#10 by Double Up, on Flickr

#10a by Double Up, on Flickr

Video below:

Great patience waiting for it to come in there DU. What are the two animals off to the distance to the right hand side in the video?

Last edited:
thumbnail_20201026_135449 by jrhranch, on Flickr

Greetings all. Great job and congrats to all on their recent kills. The bait site here is up and running for the season. This is the 170 yd site as viewed from my living room. Been dealing with motion sensor issues the last couple days, and think I may have it figered out. I'm running two different brand sensors at two sites for a total of 4 sensors...was getting some interference. Anyway...up and running. Side note: This is an Imgur shared photo. Couldn't get into my flickr, so thought I would try this. Hope it works. Take care all and hope to get some photos out soon.
baitpile
Edit: Got into my Flickr acct...so reduced pic size and reposted. Some changes in the Flickr world eh?

Last edited:
Back