Blackhorn 209?

pyscodog

Have any of you used this powder and not had good results? I can't seem to get my Rem 700 to shoot decent groups with it. (3 inchs@100yds.) I shoot 84 weighed grains which is equal to about 120 volumetric grains, with a 250 grain SST/ML bullet. Thinking maybe backing off a little and see if that helps. I tried going up in charge weight and it didn't get any better.

I have a T/C Omega .50 and I use BH209. 110gr pushing a 290gr Barnes TMZ works great. The Hornady SST also worked well but I like the Barnes way better.

I've had great results with Blackhorn 209 in my CVA Optima. MOA out to 200 yards and much cleaner than the Pyrodex pellets I was using. I did change the breech plug to one specifically for loose powder. I switched to Blackhorn because the Pyrodex just wouldn't give the consistency I was looking for. I'm using the T/C 200gr Shockwave bullets and getting single digit SDs.
Bobby

Bill, I'm not familiar with the Remington MZ, but are there different breech plugs for loose powder vs pellets?

Bobby, mine has a Badger conversion kit. Primer sets in the bolt, not the breech plug. I tried 777 today. Lots of wind so it was a terrible day but...! The rifle cuts holes at 50 but opened up to probably a 5 inch group at 100. Disappointing to say the least. Maybe I need to try different bullets as the SST's aren't working very well. At least in this rifle. The SST/Blackhorn works great in my gunsmith's 700 but I'm sure not getting the same results.

Every gun is different on what it likes and is safe.
I bought a new muzzleloader(CVA paramount) in May and have put about 150 rounds through it to work up loads. I've been very happy with blackhorn 209. It doesn't leave as much of a mess as other powders. I'm shooting 98gr by weight with 280 gr powerbelt ELR. Muzzle velocity is about 2300 fps.
Even though I've shot it up to 600 yards, have no intention on shooting a deer that far away on my hunt in a couple weeks. My goal was to be 99% confident to 200 yards but after putting in the time and work I now feel 99% confident to 300 yards.

Attached is a 3 shot group at 200 yards.
9-W1-Lu4l-VQ0-GKm-Sj-JS16pk-Q.jpg

Try a 300 gr. Bullet of your choice and a Harvester crush rib sabot! I’m currently shooting the white lightning 300 gr. With 80 gr. BH209 by weight. This combo is shooting 4” groups at 300 yards!

I’ve found I get better accuracy with heavier bullets, never could get good groups with 250’s with 3 different rifles.

Another question, what primers are you using? Is your breech plug designed for BH?

Winchester 209 primers and yes my breech plug is compatible. I read a few articles today and reducing my load could possibly help. I was shooting a pretty hot load. I also bought some different bullets. Same weight but different style. I'll find out if either helps in the morning.

If you can get your hands on some Federal primers try those. I like Bkackhorn 209, it's consistent, accurate, doesn't need swabbing between shots and clean up is easy peasy.

Well the problem with the rifle is gone. Several different loads and bullets didn't help. My gunsmith made me an offer I couldn't refuse so its his problem now. I'll stick with my Omega, its a tack driver and has proven itself for many years. Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it very much. I just ran out of patience with this one.

Just FYI, he's been with me the last few times I have been out shooting, today as well, and he's aware of how it shoots. He made the offer to buy it. I just didn't want to hear how I screwed my gunsmith.

Last edited:
Two friends shoot an Omega, I use my Knights. I really like B209, still cleanup the M-L fairly soon after shooting but B209 gives a little breathing room.

One should evaluate B209 and others with a chronograph, puts most substitutes to shame. If I couldn’t use B209, my next choice is 777, loose of course. I’m off to the IL deer hunt in a few weeks, I’ll be using a 45 cal Elite, Zeiss scope, really stacks those deer up. I have 3 tags this year.

I'm not going to bash Remington ML's, just seems mine was either worn out or it just didn't like what I was feeding it. BH209, 777, Pyrodex pellets, reduced loads,different bullets, all produced the same results, 3-4 inch and sometimes larger groups. I had the same results last year and ended up using my T/C. Its proven time and time again. I thought about replacing it with a new Remington but with them going teats up, thought against it. I did find an old Knight DISC rifle, more as a project than anything, but who knows, it may be a shooter.

I thought about replacing my T/C Omega with a Traditions Striker Fire. Wife bought me the Traditions, I shot it twice but really couldn't put down my Omega, it's a tack drivers. So now the Traditions is on the selling block.

My Omega is a Z7, cheapest one they made when they came out. I found a used thumbhole stock for it and switched it out. Then I put a sponge camo paint job on it and been killing deer with it every year since. I'll never sell that rifle.

Back