Filling Feeders

Coyote#1

I'm new to hog hunting & just started using a feeder. Don't have a huge hog population & I'm hunting public land so the hogs are likely pretty wise. Anyhow, is it a good idea to fill my feeder while it's raining to help eliminate human scent or am I over thinking it?

My camera has yet to picture a hog & all the deer thats visiting are looking up at the 5 gal feeder in the pics. I found sign that the hogs have visited the area, but none on camera yet. Not sure why they aren't coming in to the feeder?? Any suggestions??

Don’t worry too much about scent. I have had them come to the feeder within minutes of me standing under it.

What kind of public land is it that lets you put up a feeder? Can’t do that here on public land.

I'm hunting near my home, but also WMA (wildlife management area)
that requires only a $15 annual fee, so as you can imagine lots of folks hunt there. After modern deer season + all the quota hunts thats held, the animals get pretty skittish! So I was hoping to maybe get a hog before it starts in Nov.. Guess I need to be a little more patient! the feeder has been out for only a little over a month so I am probably rushing things.

Thanks for tips

Lol, guess I am over thinking it! You got the Pickens there..

BTW, that price for the WMA permit is a mis-quote! Its a 25.00 annual fee.. This is the first yr I've hunted there in several yrs.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotyou can put a feeder on a wma?

No feeders or baiting on public land in Okla. Salt blocks I think are legal but not 100% sure of that.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotyou can put a feeder on a wma?

No feeders or baiting on public land in Okla. Salt blocks I think are legal but not 100% sure of that.

I'm not sure about the salt block on WMA either.. Not sure if salt would attract a hog?? I read some where they don't sweat so salt blocks are of little use. Yellowhammer can probably tell us..

On public land in Texas the definition of bait is: "the placement of minerals, vegetative materials, or other food substances used as an attractant for wildlife."

Hogs will use salt, but by definition here it is bait, so not allowed.

Last edited:
I found rules for Oklahoma Public Hunting. I'm sure Texas is different.

Oklahoma- Illegal, placing,depositing,exposing,distributing or scattering of shelled, shucked or unshucked corn, wheat or other grain or feed. Also, salt or mineral blocks containing corn, oats or other grain or feed, Feed products such as cattle cubes or sweet feed, Fruits such as apples or potatoes, Gathering natural occurring food sources such as acorns into a pile.

Oklahoma-Legal, Salt or mineral blocks. Sardines or other lures when used for trapping of furbearers. Commercial scents such as doe in estrus.

This was taken from a 2020 Oklahoma Hunting Regs.

Like I said before, Texas may be and probably is different.

Last edited:
I read something about it being illegal here in Ky to hunt a area that has been baited until 30 days after bait is removed.
Ky has some funny laws & hogs are listed as a yr round shooting opportunity! Still they don't really encourage hunting them.

There is alot of open areas bordered by tree lines on WMA, so as long as I pack my AT&T rifle I may get lucky & pick one up along with a coyote or 2.. I plan to hunt natural food source ares on WMA such as acorn , hickory nut ,persimmons ect.. There is a few corn field on the outskirts of the property as well. Been concentrating on my property mostly! I have 2 feeders about 3-4 acres apart but very little activity this yr. Seen alot more sign last yr..

My Dad lived in Texas and the only time I hunted there, I was just a young teenager. LONG time ago! We were on private land then. I have no idea what the regulations are then or now. If you have acorns and persimmons, the hogs will find them though sooner or later. In Oklahoma, regulations on how you kill hogs is pretty much anyway you can. They just don't want any type of bait on public lands. I'm sure there are people that do and just haven't gotten caught but I don't. The state gets enough of my money threw tax's.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogMy Dad lived in Texas and the only time I hunted there, I was just a young teenager. LONG time ago! We were on private land then. I have no idea what the regulations are then or now. If you have acorns and persimmons, the hogs will find them though sooner or later. In Oklahoma, regulations on how you kill hogs is pretty much anyway you can. They just don't want any type of bait on public lands. I'm sure there are people that do and just haven't gotten caught but I don't. The state gets enough of my money threw tax's.

Pretty steep fines in Ky along with seizure of property! Definitely not worth it.. My property joins state land so I got to be careful about where I place any feeders. The bad thing about WMA is the old mines are full of nasties! Chiggers,ticks,yellow jackets ect) Kinda makes me get a late start every yr.. (Nothing worse than a bad case of the chiggers!) I'm not a warm weather hunter anymore! getting to old..

Don't worry about scent. I put some corn out last week and stomped and kicked it with my boots to spread it around and had hogs on it 2 hours later. Just keep corn on the ground and they will eventually find it.

Our hog population is not what it used to be but there are still enough around to keep me busy. That being said, I haven't seen a feeder this crowded in quite a while......

KtnCfGm.jpg

I have two feeders for several years. I usually fill them the same day. I have had hogs there several times the same night I fill them. Doesn’t seem to bother them. However if i’m In the blind and the wind is blowing toward them, they will smell me every time. Good luck.

Back