Super Hogster's secret lies in the .. core and .. mind

Ernest49

Dear American night hunters friends .... have you wondered why the Super Hogster has the best relationship between quality and price in the world market of thermal riflescope? The secret lies mainly in the hardware (practically it uses a part of a 640x480 sensor) .... but also in the sophisticated software of the thermal image compression algorithm. Read carefully what they write on the Night Goggles site:

"Bering used a 640×512 resolution matrix, and in this matrix cut out a 384×288 segment. The result is a 384×288 resolution, 12-micron Hogster. The combination allows the Super Hogster (SH) to keep the same body and lens as the Hogster 35 but increases the magnification from 2x to almost 3x native/optical magnification. In addition, the Super Hogster also allows Picture In Picture (PIP), so the end user can have a PIP window at 2x of the main image magnification (5.8x). The alternative would have been to increase the Germanium lens size which would have increased cost and required a different body style.
Bering has used a term called “Simulates 640”. They say it is a combination of two factors. The first was using the 12-micron, 640 matrix and cutting out the 384×288 segment. The second part was a special image compression algorithm. The combination of these two factors results in an image quality that, with the scope’s 2.9x native optical magnification Bering says corresponds to an image similar to 640 resolution detectors."

Last edited:
And they're not wrong. I own a Trijicon IR Hunter MK3 60mm and a Super hogster. Is the Trijicon better, yes, but not by a whole lot. Is it three times (the price) better? No way.

The ONLY thing Trijicon has going for it is the 4.5 native magnification if that's what you want. If someone was looking at an IR Hunter MK3 35mm, I'd recommend the Super hogster every time.

Last edited:
I have had it explained to me multiple times by Bering Optics, and still don't know if I fully understand it. However, the origin of the tech in the Super Hogster does come from a 640 sensor 12µm sensor although it still is only a 384x288 scope. It is the 12µm portion that helps to get higher base mag from the same lens.

They certainly have it going on. I viewed through my SH today for the first time and was pretty much blown away at the clarity and detection. Different animals, but much better than my FLIR Scion scanner

.... I was thinking of a suggestion to give to BeringOptics ... If they used the core of the SH on the Beast-R 2-8x50 model .... they could produce an exceptional thermal riflescope with a 50mmF / 1.2 lens (much less subject to the decay of the image quality in the presence of high humidity) and native optical magnification of about 4X. That is 4-16x50. It could be called "SUPER BEAST". It would make a great thermal device for long range shots and I don't think it would cost a fortune. It could be a device with higher image quality than even the Flir PTS536 that Kirsch had...
Who knows if any of you, professional American night hunters, will be able to pass this tip (SUPER BEAST) to BeringOptics?

Last edited:
Dear American night hunters, this morning I received bad news for us Italian hunters. I have been told that the wonderful Super Hogster will not be salable in Europe. They probably can't assemble it in Estonia. They can only sell the Hogster-C clip-on and the 12 micron Phenom 640.

Originally Posted By: Ernest49.... I was thinking of a suggestion to give to BeringOptics ... If they used the core of the SH on the Beast-R 2-8x50 model .... they could produce an exceptional thermal riflescope with a 50mmF / 1.2 lens (much less subject to the decay of the image quality in the presence of high humidity) and native optical magnification of about 4X. That is 4-16x50. It could be called "SUPER BEAST". It would make a great thermal device for long range shots and I don't think it would cost a fortune. It could be a device with higher image quality than even the Flir PTS536 that Kirsch had...
Who knows if any of you, professional American night hunters, will be able to pass this tip (SUPER BEAST) to BeringOptics? I did not like the form or function of the Beast when I tested it. Yes, if it had the image of the SH, that would help. Bering has some other options in mind including a 50mm lens for the summer. I will divulge more information as I am allowed.

Back