A good night

My partner and I decided to make a few stands tonight, so we met up about an hour after dark. I didn't have a lot of faith in the first stand, since I knew other people had called the area within the past week or so. I started out with rabbit distress on my Crooked Creek Cottontail Chaos hand call. After a few sequences with the hand call, I tried a few other sounds on the e-caller with no luck.

We drove about 10 minutes to another farm and set up on a freshly mowed field. Again I started with the hand call, and within minutes my partner said he saw a coyote in a horse pasture behind us. We had permission to hunt everything in the area, except for the pasture. The coyote closed in on us to about 150 yards, but then it stopped and just continued looking in our direction. Watching that coyote and knowing I couldn't shoot it was a terrible feeling. We watched it in complete silence for about 10 minutes. It would go back in the forth in the pasture, but wouldn't come through the fence. Finally, it appeared to lose interest and started heading away from us. I decided to turn on vole squeaks at a low volume, and that caught its attention. It started heading downwind, but lucky for us it had to leave the pasture to get there. Once it came out of the pasture, I didn't waste any time and put a good shot on it at about 150 yards. Turned out to be a big female.

After loading everything back in the truck, we made a short 5 minute drive to the next farm. We had about a 10 minute walk up a steep hill to get to the pasture we were planning to hunt. Once we had everything set up, I grabbed the hand call again and started calling. I made it through the second sequence on the Crooked Creek, and there was a coyote coming in hard. I couldn't get it to stop, but it slowed down just enough for my partner to kill it at about 75 yards. It turned out to be a smaller female.

After arriving at our last stand for the night, I ran through a few sequences on the hand call and then played a couple of howls on the e-caller. A pair quickly fired up to our right, but they were several hundred yards across a creek. After they finished their howls, a closer coyote howled once on our side of the creek. I gave it about a minute, and turned on some pup howls at about mid-volume. Within 3 or 4 minutes, a coyote came running into the field and I killed it at about 75 yards. This coyote was also a larger female.

Overall, it was a great night of calling and we killed a coyote on 3 out of 4 stands.

Very nice work, congrats!
thumbup.gif

Thanks for the replies everyone. Until recently I hadn’t tried using hand calls much at all. We figured It was worth trying since no one sounds the same on them. Just wanted to give them something different, and hope for the best.

Back