Two's Company, Three's a Crowd

DoubleUp

Called in a pair on a string last night. We had agreed my hunting buddy would have first shot. He killed his coyote at about 75 yds., but I couldn't see his shot in my scope. My coyote ran at the shot, but I figured he would stop pretty quickly. For some reason my hunting buddy was so jacked up that he tried to shot my coyote as well. He missed, and I rolled him on a going away running shot.

I then swing back to see if my buddy's coyote is down, because I couldn't figure why he shot a second time unless he either missed or crippled his coyote. I saw that his was dead and so swung back to check on mine. He had gotten up and struggled a few yards. I put a finishing shot on him. My buddy went to retrieve them, and got his easily. He couldn't find mine, so I took the dvr off the rifle and was trying to view the video to see what line he should walk on.

In the midst of that, he radioed me that another coyote was coming across field. He didn't have his rifle, and I didn't have the remote to his call. Mine was still on the bike. So, I did a few pup distress squeals and turned him to come somewhat closer to me. By now it was getting late (for us), and I decided to take the shot at an estimated 300. I missed and the coyote ran about another 100 yds. further and stopped. I held just over fur and rolled him.

We didn't recover either of those two last night. My buddy's coyote was a black female. I went back this afternoon to recover the other two. The eagles and buzzards helped me find them, but of course they had mangled both the coyotes up somewhat. Turned out the second one of the pair was a black male. First time we've ever killed a pair of black ones.

The third one was a YOY pup probably their litter this year. I ranged him today at 377 yds. There was a 4th coyote in the field, probably another YOY pup that didn't want to leave. My buddy could have killed him if he'd carried his rifle.

Anyway we ended up with a triple, so not a bad night.

Amazing how steady and smooth you were when swinging and shooting @ your coyote. Awesome shooting!!

What are you using for a scope?

Yes Paul, he is shooting a Thermion XP50. I don't have his video yet. Hopefully get it today.

Burn, "stuff happens."

Back