Leupold BX4 Pro Guide Binoculars

Tgunz64

Looking into a pair of these in 12x50. Anyone have experience with this model? Also considering Vortex Viper HD 12x50 as well. Thanks!

A buddy of mine has them and really likes them. We were both out scouting the other weekend, so I was able to spend some time behind them well. Spotted a few does at a hair over 500 yards. The sun was going down, she was in the shadows and lying down in the dirt. A pretty hard spot as she could easily be mistaken for a rock.

I have also spent quite a bit of time behind the Viper HD model as well (on scouting trips with a different friend).

As far as look and feel go, I feel the Leupold wins. Me personally, the Leupold just looks better overall and fit my hands better. Just felt more comfortable.

For glass quality, I personally felt the Leupold was brighter, sharper and just overall a better bino. The Leupold is on sale right now as well. I personally own the BX-5 15x56. I do own Vortex products too, so I am not one of those that only buys Leupold.

I know Vortex has their warranty, but so does Leupold and they will make it right should there be a problem. They have done so for me a few times and really went above and beyond.

Last edited:
I have a pair of 10x42 bx-4 and love them. Spent some time in Nevada last year with a friend on his deer hunt and his son had a pair of vortex razors and there wasn't much difference between them even at low light.

I own bx4 12x50 bx4 pro guide HD and also own the 15x56 bx5 HD Santiams and they are both well worth the money. Everybody talks about vortex and their warranty... every quality optic company has the same warranty except with vortex you will actually have to use it sooner or later. I know this from personal experience as I own a vortex razor HD spotting scope and it’s a decent spotter but thank god it’s got good warranty cuz it’s been sent in 3x in the last 3 years but that’s what you get when you buy a Japan/China/Philippians product. My 2 cents is spend the extra money and buy an American made product

Originally Posted By: superDUECE22 but that’s what you get when you buy a Japan/China/Philippians product. My 2 cents is spend the extra money and buy an American made product

Check your BX-4 and 5. Japan

Originally Posted By: erikc838Originally Posted By: superDUECE22 but that’s what you get when you buy a Japan/China/Philippians product. My 2 cents is spend the extra money and buy an American made product

Guess this is where I’ll insert foot into mouth ....
with that being said I personally own 15+ Leupold products and I’ve never sent one in for repair and the only vortex product I own I’ve sent in multiples times and have had buddies send in multiple vortex binoculars because moisture got behind glass... so to each their own, I guess I’m just a little biased towards Leupold because they’ve never failed me but I’m sure plenty of people have had issues with them

I was actually shocked to see it on a buddy's bx-4 12x50 and my bx-5 15x56. I am still very happy with them over the Vortex. I have had a few problems with Vortex, though I don't still own them. The one that I do own is a scope and so far so good. The only "problem" if you want to call it that was on a used scope a picked up. The glass had some issues when I received it. Leupold took it back, no questions asked and paid for shipping. They promptly fixed the issue and even upgraded the internals, as it was an older model.

Originally Posted By: superDUECE22Originally Posted By: erikc838Originally Posted By: superDUECE22 but that’s what you get when you buy a Japan/China/Philippians product. My 2 cents is spend the extra money and buy an American made product

You are one of the lucky ones. For all my shooting career I have spent time sending my leupy products in. They repair them just fine. I sold them all [beeep] and now Im running NF now. Now Im kicking myself for not making the change earlier than I did. Maybe Leupy has improved. Couple of my buddies have some VX 6's HD's and they seem good. They don't use them [beeep], where I use my stuff a lot.

Guess this is where I’ll insert foot into mouth ....
with that being said I personally own 15+ Leupold products and I’ve never sent one in for repair and the only vortex product I own I’ve sent in multiples times and have had buddies send in multiple vortex binoculars because moisture got behind glass... so to each their own, I guess I’m just a little biased towards Leupold because they’ve never failed me but I’m sure plenty of people have had issues with them

i really like loupe's $1000 spotting scope. I have seen several at the local range. Would love to have one sometime. I have a pair of 10x32 binoculars that I have had for 30 years. I have only sent them in 2 times, which is very reasonable considering that about of use. I have not looked through any newer leupy binoculars in quite some time. I too am in the market for some bigger binoculars of some type. If anyone can send me $2400, I will get the Swarovski binoculars.

Back