Small Rifle Primer costs going up

Those are scalper prices and I would not pay that price and I would also remember their sins when/if things got back close to normal. We had a nearby dealer who was selling .380 FMJ ammo for $1.00 per round during Sandy Hook. I have not entered their business since then and will never do business with them again.

there are several company's i refuse to do business with based on how they handled post-sandy hook.

lowerthandirt is just one of them. $99 pmags amongst other atrocities .... yeesh!

Before the last primer famine there was a dealer in Boise that had bought up an out of state gun shop a few months earlier. In a back room he showed me a pallet of primers all wrapped tight in plastic. Cases and cases and cases of primers. Got them for next to nothing. Later when primers were like nowhere to be found he had a card table set out with several bricks of those primers on them that you would see as soon as you walked in the store. They were marked more than double the normal price. I was there when one guy came in and he saw the display and exclaimed "You got primers?" The owner said, right in front of me perhaps forgetting that he had shown me his find a few months ago, "Yeah, I was able to find some. I hate to charge this much but I have to recoup what I spent on them." And the guy was so glad that he had some that he paid the price. I am sure that it was about 10 times what he gave for them. Might even be more than that. I always thought that was kind of s#itty and underhanded for this guy do to this and told some friends about this too. I never bought anything else from this guy because of that. He is still in business and doing well I think, but it still irks me to this day him doing that.

Originally Posted By: RustydustBefore the last primer famine there was a dealer in Boise that had bought up an out of state gun shop a few months earlier. In a back room he showed me a pallet of primers all wrapped tight in plastic. Cases and cases and cases of primers. Got them for next to nothing. Later when primers were like nowhere to be found he had a card table set out with several bricks of those primers on them that you would see as soon as you walked in the store. They were marked more than double the normal price. I was there when one guy came in and he saw the display and exclaimed "You got primers?" The owner said, right in front of me perhaps forgetting that he had shown me his find a few months ago, "Yeah, I was able to find some. I hate to charge this much but I have to recoup what I spent on them." And the guy was so glad that he had some that he paid the price. I am sure that it was about 10 times what he gave for them. Might even be more than that. I always thought that was kind of s#itty and underhanded for this guy do to this and told some friends about this too. I never bought anything else from this guy because of that. He is still in business and doing well I think, but it still irks me to this day him doing that.

I hear ya on that, I really do. But on the other hand, any dealer selling for honest prices right now and back then, will just have his inventory hoarded up to be resold on gunbroker. I don't feel that's right either, but it is America after all.

The people to blame, if any I guess, are the ones buying at high prices out of panic. You can't charge high prices if no one will pay it.

A sad story in my neck of the woods was Lock Stock and Barrel. After Obozo got elected the first time, there was such a run that they ran out of inventory, couldn't get more, and the bank called their loan, at least that's the way I heard it. That's the business side of it, sell cheap and you won't have anything to sell pretty soon in these circumstances. If you can't ride out the hit, well you get the picture.

I just visited my LGS and bought a 1000 CCI 200’s for $39.99. A 1000 limit a day and 500 on small pistol primers. All the same price. CCI magnum, large, and small rifle, large pistol, small, pistol, and small magnum pistol all in stock and all for $39.99 a 1000. They have a couple of boxes of 1000 federal rifle primers in stock for the same price as well. They also have two 8 pound cans of H380 for $174 each. I never have had any firearm shoot tight groups with H380 powder accept for FMJ in 243. I’m guessing no one else does either since both jugs had been sitting there for some time. The shop also just received 9mm ammo today and had it for $15 a box.

Last edited:
I passed on an 8# Benchmark 160.00 asking price at a gun show last weekend(Sunday). There were primers on tables 4-5$/100. Didn't buy any of those either, my shooting buddy gave me a mixed brick of Federal 210/210m so it was hard to spend money. I purchased a brick of small pistol primers for 35.00 a couple weeks ago.

I might have to buy some small pistol primers even though I don’t reload for anything that takes them. Think I’m going to keep at least 1000 on hand minimum of everything for now on. I have a good 4K of small rifle primers on hand and a couple K of large pistol. I’ll probably grab a 1000 magnum rifle next week for my ultra mags and another 1000 of large pistol as well. Tired of looking and seems to be a fair price on CCI. Never can find a thing but CCI the last couple of years anyways so I’m going to eventually convert all my hand loads to using them. Decades ago when I first started it was always Remington on hand at Scheels and Cabelas. The have been as hard to find as Santa Claus and the Easter bunny the last few years.

Last edited:
I just bought two bricks of a 1000 Remington 7 1/2 BR today for $22.50 a brick. Picked them up from guy who bought them from Sportman’s a few months ago for the same price. The Holy grain of primers imo.

I have been spending a week of off and on cleaning my man cave. Doing some quick mental calculations (not the easiest thing for me!) if I shoot as much every year from here on out as much as I did this year and last, which was plenty, then I should have enough loaded ammo and components to load the ammo back up to last me until I am in my 80's. Not even counting all my rimfire ammo at all or centerfire handgun either. Comfortable feeling that.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanPrices around here in the stores for regular primers is $36 per hundred and who knows what for Rem 7 1/2 and cci br primers.

$36 a hundred ? WOW I just sold a couple thousand small pistol primers for $35 1K. There was a guy trying to sell SP primers on a local gun board for $750 a thousand. I don't think he sold any.

found a stack of cci 400 bricks first of the month at a local place up north that does not e-retail.

limit 1 brick, 5/100 pks per person, $40/brick.

thats also been their normal price for several years now.

there's fair retailers out there. hopefull ya'll lucky enough to live close to one

My LGS has bricks of CCI, 200,250, 550, 350, and 500’s all for their normal everyday price they always sell them for at $39.99 with a 1 brick per day limit per customer accept for the 500’s which are behind the counter with a 500 per day limit. I bought a brick of 200’s, a brick of 350’s, and 500 of the 500’s on the last 24 hours. I’ll go back for another brick of 200,250, and 500 to 1000 more 500’s and leave the rest for someone else. I figured if I keep about 3 bricks of each on hand I won’t run out for years to come. There were almost a dozen people in the store this morning when they opened and I was the only one buying primers. The 22lr ammo was $50 per brick...I’ll pass. I have piles of 22lr ammo from over the years saved up for hunting. It seems like it’s always something I’m chasing over the years...22lr, Hornady 60 grain vmax, powder, and now its currently primers.

I picked up another brick and a half this afternoon...

rsLnQGc.jpg

Last edited:
To me, a brick of primers at 40$ is hiway robbery, but we have grown accustomed to it and think it’s a “deal”.

I do not shoot competitively so my stash can be stretched out for a long time and when things get out of hand such as right now, I just pull up and wait!

I hear stupids out in the open areas firing off their AR’s and AK’s like they are trying to convince me they have a Full Auto. I am not impressed!

You have to wonder where is all this ammo and components going because the liberal onclaves are not long on shooting ranges? Are the majority of the recent surge in ammo and component sales going in their “sock drawers”?

It does not add up to make much sense!

The one thing that gives me a bit of optimism is that more gun owners should give us more votes for our side. However, listening to these libs makes me think that all too many of them think, well I am safe now ... I have my one gun and nobody is going to threaten it. Man are they stupid or what?

Three 44s

Originally Posted By: ackleymanScalpers taking advantage of panic buyers......take a pill, don't panic!

Good advice!

Last 1000 I bought was high enough @ $64.00! I only bought them because I committed
to an order that the owner had to place for them. I have found them cheaper since & I'm well supplied at the moment.

Back