Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Topic Options
#3253121 - 09/24/20 10:41 AM Beaver trapping ?'s
Rhett Steele Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Southern Indiana
I'm climbing the learning curve for beaver trapping. I've only caught one in my short career. I've got some that have moved into my creek. They are getting into my corn field, no biggie there, its a food plot. What I'm trying to prevent is having my Black Walnut plantation eaten. A couple of years ago they got a dozen of my Walnut trees.

They are going into a soft maple root wad in a deep part of the channel. They have one path coming up to my field and plantation. I have a conibear set on their path tethered to a tree. It's a steep bank, about an 8' drop to the water. One pulled out of my trap Tuesday, had only a wad of hair in the conibear. I don't know how that is possible, musta grabbed it in the rear.

What did I do wrong? Do I need to make a drown set? I'll try again Friday night. When I checked the trap, one beaver was below me grunting and chewing a limb and another was swimming around. Both looked unhurt from trap, didn't have a gun or I could popped them both.

#3253153 - 09/24/20 05:31 PM Re: Beaver trapping ?'s [Re: Rhett Steele]
AWS Online

Loc: NM
For land trail sets I much prefer snares as they don't spook them if it misses

Make mine a Minaska.

Heaven has rules and walls, He-l has open borders

#3253408 - 09/28/20 11:54 AM Re: Beaver trapping ?'s [Re: AWS]
spotstalkshoot Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: so.mn
Often conibear type traps can miss on beaver and otter on slides when the animal is going down the slide. In Mn it is Not legal to set a beaver size conibear(330) on land. So I will use the 330 size traps in a swim up set, almost always with a mud pie(scent mound set). Very important when trapping to know(read track sign), which direction animals are traveling on trails. Sometimes beaver only go up one trail and down certain slides. Castor scent works spring and fall, as beaver are territorial.

#3253533 - 09/29/20 04:52 PM Re: Beaver trapping ?'s [Re: spotstalkshoot]
22 Chuck Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Montmorency Co, MI
Get some 330 supports and set in the water. OR put a 1.5" stick thru the bent up springs and set in a 'trench' that they are using heavily. The stick causes em to dive right into the trigger. Our biggest that way was 54#(scaled)and he moved the trap about a foot in the direction he was headed.

w/ the supports wire the two top ends together and to a nearby tree/bush/etc. Chances are not needed but we lost one trap, on a stand, and still wonder if it was a beaver or scumball thief.

#3254150 - 10/07/20 11:24 AM Re: Beaver trapping ?'s [Re: 22 Chuck]
spotstalkshoot Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: so.mn
When setting a 330 in a swim up set in front of a bank trail, I either set the trap tight to bottom,top jaws about 1" under water and use a 1 1/2-2" diameter dive stick over the trap and weave it through the fencing lathe or peel sticks holding the trap. Securing the trap to a strong stake under water. Or I set where the water is 7-8" deep, but drops off out in front. This leaves the to jaws 2-3" above water a couple fencing sticks on each side usually directs the beaver to swim through, under the top jaw. The exposed jaw set is better when there can be some slight water level fluctuations(freeze/thaw daily temp cycles). If the dive stick gets submerged beaver may go over the trap. With the exposed jaw set I put the trigger jaw down. Of course, if using castor, the wind must be coming off the bank. And current in streams, rivers will make the beaver angle as it swims on approach. So take that in to consideration when placing the trap and fencing.

Edited by spotstalkshoot (10/07/20 11:32 AM)

Moderator:  AWS 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.