Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Topic Options
#3253927 - 10/04/20 12:41 PM Truck and camper setup advice?
Coyotejunki Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: MO
I am planning to retire at the end of the year, and looking to buy a camper to tow behind my Tahoe. I have a 2008 Tahoe LS, 5.3L 4x4, 3.73 gears, trailer package. I am looking at 18ft campers like a KZ , may go as big as a 20'. Does this sound like a reasonable setup for my Tahoe or too much camper. I plan to move around some and hunt here and there.

#3253929 - 10/04/20 01:28 PM Re: Truck and camper setup advice? [Re: Coyotejunki]
hm1996 Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: S. Texas
FWIW, my 2003 Silverado LS 4X4 (same engine, same posi-trac rear end ratio) handled a 26' HiLO on hyway nicely. Never took HiLo off road due to low ground clearance.

The HiLo is a heavy for length trailer but that was probably offset by it's very low wind drag.

Regards,
hm

If My people will humble themselves, pray, seek My face & turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven & will forgive their sin & heal their land.

#3253968 - 10/04/20 11:05 PM Re: Truck and camper setup advice? [Re: hm1996]
tripod3 Offline
PM senior

Loc: WA
[img:center][/img]

I think it is important to match up your equipment somewhat, I don't think this guy had the same idea or he got a fast talking salesman.
I am far from an expert but pulled a 20 ft with a gas rig. I found the size to be just comfortable with no trouble getting in or out of places.
The 20 ft made it work a little on mountain passes and I never landed in one of the common graveyards in the windy areas on our side of the state where I have witnessed countless rigs end up. I have even rescued a fair number of those people.
So many add ons to make towing more pleasant now.

#3253995 - 10/05/20 09:59 AM Re: Truck and camper setup advice? [Re: tripod3]
hm1996 Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: S. Texas
Wow, would hate to meet a semi in a strong crosswind in that rig!

That's why I chose the HILO. Wind resistance is a big factor.

That fellow is just asking for trouble, both on & off road with that LWB camper & SWB truck.

Regards,
hm

If My people will humble themselves, pray, seek My face & turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven & will forgive their sin & heal their land.

#3254001 - 10/05/20 12:38 PM Re: Truck and camper setup advice? [Re: Coyotejunki]
Plant.One Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: Oakland County, MI
Originally Posted By: Coyotejunki
I am planning to retire at the end of the year, and looking to buy a camper to tow behind my Tahoe. I have a 2008 Tahoe LS, 5.3L 4x4, 3.73 gears, trailer package. I am looking at 18ft campers like a KZ , may go as big as a 20'. Does this sound like a reasonable setup for my Tahoe or too much camper. I plan to move around some and hunt here and there.

open your door on the truck

theres a sticker on there that has your GVWR and listed how much it can tow.

it'll look something like this (there are several versions of this sticker, depending on age - i just pulled these off the net as an example)

that will give you the limits as to what your vehicle can safely tow

there are no mods you can do to it to legally change those limits - so dont let anyone tell you "oh with a set of add-a-leaf" or "if you change your gears" or "with a set of load leveling air bags" - those kinds of mods are for making it handle those loads better/easier. those GVRW limits are carved in stone the day it leaves the factory.

hth

#3254039 - 10/05/20 10:18 PM Re: Truck and camper setup advice? [Re: Coyotejunki]
masshunter Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: western mass
Good advice from Plant on the sticker. I sold campers and RV's for 25 years, KZ had a good reputation as I remember. Make sure you get a double axel rig. You want a trailer that is a little longer than the tow vehicle, it will be easier to back up. You might be able to go a little longer, say 22' or 24' with very little increase in weight or cost. Over the years I have seen so many customers that wished they had gone a little bigger. Take a look anyway and have an open mind. Try to stay with metal sides, the old tried and true "stick and tin" is the 870 of campers. Look up the BBB file on the dealer before you buy, also get a look at the service dept. Price and cost can be two different things. If you can walk some lots and see if you can find some 5,8,10, year old trailers of the model you are considering, see how they hold up. Some of the most popular models at the shows are crap in five years. If possible visit the dealer on a weekday when they are less busy and can spend more time. Be wary of "ultra lite " trailers. I've seen some that had to have weight added to keep them from swaying all over. Good luck.

#3254064 - 10/06/20 06:58 AM Re: Truck and camper setup advice? [Re: Coyotejunki]
DAA Offline
PM senior

Loc: Salt Lake City
Don't know much about trailers.

But congrats on retirement!

- DAA

Moderator:  Redfrog 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.