Single Most Important Factor in Marksmanship

hm1996

Staff member
Interesting read; click headline below:

The Deadliest Marksman’s Cold, Brave Stand

Quote:According to one story among the many that comprise the Häyhä legend, during his Civil Guard training, he once hit a target 16 times from 500 feet away in just one minute. “This was an unbelievable accomplishment with a bolt action rifle, considering that each cartridge had to be manually fed with a fixed magazine that held together five cartridges,” wrote Tapio Saarelainen in his biography of the marksman, The White Sniper: Simo Häyhä.

Quote:Reportedly, when he was once asked how he became such an outstanding sniper, Häyhä simply replied, “Practice.”

Regards,
hm

I have always felt that trigger time with my pellet gun was beneficial.
Not sure how much of a better shot but know that it improved my mental game tremendously, like less thinking and quicker on target and shoot.
The whole process becomes automatic, so to speak.

Originally Posted By: tripod3I have always felt that trigger time with my pellet gun was beneficial.
Not sure how much of a better shot but know that it improved my mental game tremendously, like less thinking and quicker on target and shoot.
The whole process becomes automatic, so to speak.

^^ Absolutely; learned more about hard holding with smallbore (.22RF) competition and practicing with an air rifle than I ever learned shooting HP competition. The slower projectiles teach you the importance of follow through real quick!
smile.gif
Shooting is more of a mental game, than physical.

Regards,
hm

Single Most Important Factor in Marksmanship??

The shooter!

I used to shoot a lot of airgun myself. The springers help your marksman ship! But I really like my Hatsan PCP in 22 cal! it really helped perfect my bench technique.. Great for small game to!

I read the article. It was very interesting. One comment made pretty much summed it up......Practice! In my younger years, I shot tournament 3D archery. I practiced almost every evening and shot match's on the week-end. One summer I won 19 out of 23 match's and placed in the top 3 of the ones I didn't win. I contribute it all to "Practice". Those days are gone but time behind the trigger is the only way to get really good.

An accurate rifle/ammo combo.

I think a good shooting rifle can make a mediocre shooter, a better shot, but a good shooter can not make a poor shooting rifle, more accurate.

But, once you have the good shooting rifle/ammo combination, then yes, practice

I think a lot also depends on the discipline your shooting as well. A bench rest shooter or F-Class has to have an extremely accurate rifle and lots of practice. A PRS guy shooting steel doesn't require quarter inch groups but still needs an accurate rifle. And again practice. For the hunter, even though he wants a rifle that shoots bugholes but usually can get by with a rifle that shoots an inch or better, but he/she still needs to practice. JMO!

K-22 Hornet said it best. Poor triggers, difficult stock fit, cartridge/bullet and sight limitations are a factor. I love an afternoon at the range with a couple takedown Sav 99's, 81 Rem, o7 Win, and Marlin and Winnie lever guns, but the groups are typical "hundred yard deer kill zone ". Ending the session with my Timmney trigger fitted Howa always makes me feel better, but then it hasn't been in the woods in 5 or 6 years..

I, have numerous accurate firearms but I know when my mind is not there, accuracy goes out the window. So, for me the most important factor is mental.

jme

When I was 6, I watched my Great Grand Pa sit on the front porch and shoot Carpenter bees with a 22 single shot using 22 Shorts. He giggled every time he hit one. I asked him how I could learn to shoot like him, he said, "Learn to shoot pennies".

Well, on the way home from Great grand dad's home, I asked my dad to teach me to shoot at pennies. Dad got out my BB gun, flipped up a penny, and showed me what great grand dad was talking about as dad hit the penny.

I shot up all my BB's in a hurry, and Dad bought me 10 large containers of BB's. I got the hang of it:

Keep my face on the stock
Follow through
Squeeze the trigger

Teaching the kids to flip pennies in the air and shoot them is a family tradition...teaches follow through

Last edited:
Shooting comes natural to some folks and others really have to try hard to hit their mark. A red dot or a reticle does help get your target centered in the sight window but without the aid of optics, open sights can be challenging. I agree with range time being the best teacher. I also believe that a good weapon helps as well.

Back