.22 hornet resizing

17m2

Just bought a cz 527 .22 hornet. I have 2 cigar boxes full of old brass Dad gave me in the 90s. Its old brass(the last date written on them is june81).Some sized some not. Loaded 25 just to try it out shot fine.
Decided to separate and resize all of them. separated win from rem and started to resize. Win no problem, rem ended up with what seem to be lube dents. Used very little lube. any ideas why on brand would dent and the other not?

I swear Remington brass is softer than Winchester. I am not crazy about Hornady “One Shot” lube but for certain applications, I think it comes in handy. Start with clean brass, and try spraying the “one shot” on.
I personally just resize the neck, as I only have one gun in that caliber. YMMV

Usually dents from excess lube somewhere,,,, You say you didn’t use much, so check the die. Use a paper towel and clean die. Just possible a little lube buildup.

Did it dimple the shoulders or perhaps the body too?

Last edited:
If you sized the win first, then the rem brass, you prob had excess lube in there till you got to the rem. Clean the dies as noted above, relube the brass litely, and try again. The dents will iron out on the first shot, and so long as they are not major in size and depth, and the case is otherwise dimensionally correct, load them with a non-max load that you have worked up to, and shoot them. Dont be oversizing them on the next loading....too much working the brass ruins the brass quicker. Adjust your dies so that the brass is just sized enough to chamber in your gun, neck size only?

Remington brass is a bit thinner than Winchester in the Hornet, so it would probably show lube dents a little easier than Win brass.

I use automotive brake cleaner to clean the inside of my dies. Works great, and dries rapidly.

Get a Lee Collet Die for your Hornet, and you won't need to lube the cases at all. In addition, you might see an improvement in accuracy.

K-22hornet, that's the answer right there! I've used Win, Rem (R*P), Frontier, Hornady... all kinds of brass in my CZ 527 Hornet. But as with other calibers, I've gone to a cheapie Lee die set to bring in the collet neck sizer they have - neck size 'em only, then seat with a Redding Competition Seater die and the results have been fantastic. I love Lil'Gun and CCI 500 Small Pistol primers for my hornet as well. Accuracy and speed are both top notch. But I never worry about case lube for full length sizing - ever.

I think its more in your method of lubing. Are you using a pad? If so when did you apply the lube to it? It takes time for some lube to soak into the pad so not to cause excess lubing probs.. Even then, I roll about 5-6 cases at once on my lube pad and as I pic them up to size I use my fingers to kinda remove excess lube.. You actually need very little lube on the case..

This cartridge headspaces off the rim, but its a good idea not to push the shoulders back anymore than needed! (about 0.003 or less) This is & always has been a week cartridge case design.

I use One Shot lube almost always these days. Its easy and works very good IMO. Something I did notice when loading the little Hornet cases, that if you don't get the bullet pretty much centered in the case mouth, it will seat crooked causing the neck to swell on one side or the other. Definitely effecting accuracy I'm sure. If you champher the case mouth just a little it helps the bullet to seat squarely in the case.

Back