Battery Behavior Differences: Hogster 25/35 and Super

Kirsch

I get lots of questions on this topic so want to make sure those with the Hogster 25 & 35 and Super Hogster realize the commonalities and differences on how the various Hogsters behave with various power options.

Commonalities:
[*]All use 2- CR123s, 2-rechargeable CR123s, and/or 5V battery pack. [/list]
Differences:
[*]Hogster 25 and 35 will not power down with a battery pack connected. You need to run the power down process to save settings and then disconnect the scope from power. The Super Hogster can be powered down when connected to a battery pack. [/list] [*]Hogster 25 and 35 will automatically power up when connected to a battery pack. You need to activate the battery pack and the press the power button to power up the Super Hogster. [/list][*]Hogster 25 and 35 will not switch from battery pack to CR123 batteries unless you start the scope with CR123's only and then connect the battery pack after. The Super Hogster will switch over to CR123s if something happens to the battery pack power. [/list]I have already asked if there is a chance for Bering to change the 25 and 35 to work like the Super Hogster in regards to power. They said unfortunately no as it has to do with changes they made internally to the Super Hogster to accommodate this different power behavior vs just a firmware tweak.

Originally Posted By: murdocDo you have to have 123s in the SH to use it with external battery? Or will it run on battery pack alone The SH will run on external battery alone. You do not have to have a set of 123s or rechargeable 123s in the scope. Having a set of 123s in the scope provides a backup if the battery pack gets depleted, or you lose connection to the pack for any reason.

Think I asked you this. Does it hurt the scope to just unplug the battery pack for shutdown or is it better to go through the shutdown procedure

On the Super Hogster, I would power it down. On the 25 and 35, there is no option but to disconnect. If you made any changes on the 25 and 35, you still have to go through the process of shutting it down, even though it won't power down for the changes to save. I have been told by Bering Optics, you will not damage your 25 and 35 by disconnecting it from the battery pack.

Thanks for the information as I just, the other day, zeroed the 35 with the remote battery just unplugged it when done. Back to the range today and did it right.

Back