Super Hogster Really Is Super

Kirsch

Had a banner day on Thursday. I harvested 8 coyotes with the Super Hogster. I got 6 recorded on video. The plan is to make this into two videos. I didn't notice this in real-time, but the big male that is the last coyote taken, has a bad leg or foot. It is amazing how a male will often stick around awhile if the female is taken first. This footage was taken near dark so no interviews, drone footage, or cutaways just nothing but coyotes.

Yes need crops gone! Lol. Took me a second watch to see that back leg. Even when I knew about it I barely recognized it. They are tough as nails with a will to live.

Originally Posted By: murdocYes need crops gone! Lol. Took me a second watch to see that back leg. Even when I knew about it I barely recognized it. They are tough as nails with a will to live. They are tough. Last year my first coyote of the year only had 2.5 legs. I have no idea how it could walk/run like that, but it did. Everything was healed and looked good. I had no idea I had shot this odd-ball coyote until I went to pick it up.

Originally Posted By: yoteblasterIs the fur prime yet ? I kept 3 out of the 8 I shot. Are they prime, not quite but not bad. The fur has changed a lot in the last 2 weeks. An early coyote is better than a lot of coyotes in late Feb/March that are breaking down (rubbing). In ND our early coyotes are still probably better than lots of warmer state's prime coyotes.

I could've kept 5, but if I would have kept the first 2 coyotes of the morning in the back of my truck all day, every person in my town would have smelled me coming home as it was almost 80° during the day. Even the three I kept were the last stands of the day. Until I got them home, started the freezer, and threw them in, I have a stinky mess. It isn't freezing them fast enough and my garage stinks horribly. I have the doors open right now trying to air it out.

Originally Posted By: Burnsome...What kind of battery pack are you running with yours Kirsch? I am running the TRB from Night Goggles. My gun is a little back heavy, so instead of adding more weight towards the middle or backend of the gun, I mounted the TRB on the rail towards the front. This really helped balance my gun out. I used Larue rail clips to secure the USB C cable against the rail. This has worked well. This keeps the middle portion of the handguard free to grab. I really like the TRB.

One thing to note. If you are taking the battery out of the TRB or any battery pack to charge it, make sure when you insert it back in, that you make sure the USB insert, battery, and USB cable are all securely connected back together. With gun recoil, it is possible this could cause a connection issue if everything is not tight. The Super Hogster would power down if it loses connection. One way around this is to have a set of CR123 batteries in the Super Hogster just in case. It will switch over to internal battery if it loses connection to the battery pack for any reason.
trb1.jpg

trb2.jpg

I also have been using a different Eyecup. For daytime hunting, I wanted to keep all the possible light, so I put a PVS-14 eyecup on the Super Hogster. It fits OK, but is just a bit loose, so I put a small ziptie on it to help secure it in place.

FYI, I have noted how the Super Hogster demonstrates different power behaviors in comparison to the Hogster 25 and 35 on the following thread.

Originally Posted By: crowkiller51Nice shooting rig Korey. Is this your 22/250 AR? Thank you. Yes it is. It is the 22-250 LRPR model from Specialized Dynamics. It is a tac-driver.

Korey,
what is that in Front of Your connection where your power goes into the Scope? Is that a protector? If so where did you get it? That is one thing with a right handed bolt I would worry about tearing the power cord out of the scope while cycling the bolt in a hurry..

Originally Posted By: carvercallsKorey,
what is that in Front of Your connection where your power goes into the Scope? Is that a protector? If so where did you get it? That is one thing with a right handed bolt I would worry about tearing the power cord out of the scope while cycling the bolt in a hurry.. What I believe you are seeing in front of the right-angle power connection is the rubber flap that covers the port when not in use. I like the angled connection as it seems to put less stress on the cable and port.

You could run the cord around the back of the scope as one option, like this.

usbc1.jpg

Another option would be to run it up and over your scope to keep away from a right handed bolt. One really nice thing about USB-C connections is they can be inserted either direction.

usbc2.jpg

Yet another option is to use an adapter and the run the cord back or forward.

There could be lots of additional options using zipties or velcro to make sure to stay away from a bolt. Just some thoughts.

Originally Posted By: KirschHad a banner day on Thursday. I harvested 8 coyotes with the Super Hogster. I got 6 recorded on video. The plan is to make this into two videos. I didn't notice this in real-time, but the big male that is the last coyote taken, has a bad leg or foot. It is amazing how a male will often stick around awhile if the female is taken first. This footage was taken near dark so no interviews, drone footage, or cutaways just nothing but coyotes.

is there a reason the right side of the scope is darker or is that something with the recording feature?

It is something I have noticed on a rare occasion and have reported it to Bering Optics with my prototype Super Hogster. I honestly didn't notice it with the eyepiece during this hunt, but have before. It was very windy, and the wind was coming from the right side, so not sure if the sensor is picking up something that is causing it to "strobe" a little. I have my battery on the right side of my rail, so it might be getting a little reflection from it as well.

Thermals will adjust as the thermal is moved. You will see thermal images change as you get to the crest of a hill, nearing the horizon, drastic changes in elevation, etc to get the best image. It is not unusual to see some shifting in the image. It may be as simple as it needs to be NUC'd but I wasn't about to do this with 2 coyotes coming at me. The other possibility is the sun was setting and the moon was rising during these stands. I could have been getting some reflection from either as I know the sun was off to my right side.

Back