New Thermal settings

DakotaSTW

Heading down to my in-laws ranch this weekend to try out my new thermal scope. It's an ATN Thor LT 4-8. I know atn isn't known for their great quality but it's all the budget allowed. I have never looked through a thermal scope before until I bought this one and it doesn't seem THAT bad compared to how bad some of the reviews are. I was able to clearly see my dog at 200 yards and she is about coyote sized. Is it typical to have to adjust the thermal sensitivity, brightness, and contrast for every stand or is it because I'm running a lower end scope? It seems that every time I take it out to familiarize myself with it I have to adjust the settings to get the best picture. Hoping to get enough coyotes this year to purchase a hogster. If anyone has any insight on this scope or advice on thermal night hunting it would be much appreciated.

Welcome to the addiction! In my experience weather difference is the main factor in having to adjust the scope. Not sure if the humidity, ect was different each time you used it but typically I don't have to make adjustments unless weather changes A guy doesn't need the most expensive equipment and I'll bet your scope will serve you well! Don't know if you are getting to hunt or just playing with the new toy but eitho way good luck!

P&Y probably hit the nail on the head with humidity as many of the lower end scopes suffer major performance issues with humidity. However, with a 4-8 scope, this is a lot of base magnification for a coyote scope. Due to the high magnification, you will be adjusting the focus a lot more than with lower mag scope also.

The part to be careful about is seeing an object at 200 yards is one thing. Knowing it is a coyote is another. My advice is be very careful before pulling the trigger. You don't want to shoot a calf or deer, etc. This advice is for any new thermal hunter. When the adrenaline gets pumping, everything looks like a coyote.

Very good advice as usual Kirsch! I can't believe the variety of animals that have shown up on calls. Never ASSume any target, it's easy to get excited especially for us that enjoy the hunt so much.

Dakota, I am anxious to hear how it goes with your new thermal. If it helps you to drop coyotes, then that’s all that matters. I wish you well on the hunt, and be sure to give an update.

Let me set up the following situation. I had 2 coyotes working my wind. They both disappear behind the same hill. At different times, both pop their heads over the same hill (I didn't get this part on video). I then spot what looks to be a coyote's head peak behind the exact spot I last saw the coyote. It took all of my will power not to pull the trigger. It is good I didn't because I would have had to explain to a rancher how I shot one of his cows in the head.

The issue in this case wasn't resolution or image quality but anticipation. This is one part of it. If you add a questionable image, or bad weather (such as high humidity, fog) on top of this and bad things can happen. Everyone be safe.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I didn't go out calling last night as I was tired from chasing antelope with the bow all day. I did drive around and watched some raccoons and deer in the corn field. I definitely see what kirsch is saying about the high base mag. That may be an issue for coyote hunting this winter once our night season opens. As for clarity if the animal is moving I can pretty much tell what they are at reasonable distance, but I can see how identifying animals may be an issue with this scope. I may try going out tonight

Back