Suburban coyotes

Heymartay

Been staying at my girlfriend off and on this year in Goodyear Az at one of the retirement communities. In the last week their has been 3 small dogs killed by coyotes in backyards and the last one taken while the owner dropped the leash to open a garage. Totally unafraid around here. Tons of rabbits and quail but they like to kill these small dogs. Any idea on combatting this legally. Myself I’d have my 22 by the door with hp shorts in it and shoot them in the head, 30 foot shot at the most. Man that would p#^ me off!

Depending upon whats behind where you might shoot, suppressed 22 bolt action. Probably quieter than a pellet gun but more expensive

A .22 CB would be very, very quiet.

A 29gr bullet at 700fps, so it's subsonic, and at 29grs, it has 4x the weight of a 177cal pellet.

The way most of todays airguns look, it might be difficult to convince a cop that it's a 'BB gun', but, I agree that cops might be more lenient with an air rifle than a 22 rimfire.

Disposing of a carcass the size of a coyote, in a suburban area, might raise an eyebrow, or two, lol.

I have some .20 pellets that are over 20 grains and hit hard, killed a suburban coyote with them about 10 years ago.
Pretty sure the .22 & .25 version will top out at 30-35 grains
CB's are great if you can find them right now, but a pellet gun is legal to discharge in many towns and we don't have the 12 lb limit like the UK.

I agree on the pellet gun in 20 or 22 cal as they would not be considered a FIREarm with all the legal ramifications of using a FIREarm in town.

If you go air rifle they make a barrel that will shoot 22 caliber slugs. There is a guy on the net who uses the 22 cal slugs to kill monkeys at way past 100 meters. He is from south Africa where monkeys are varmints. AirArmsHuntingSA is the site.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BearIf you go air rifle they make a barrel that will shoot 22 caliber slugs. There is a guy on the net who uses the 22 cal slugs to kill monkeys at way past 100 meters. He is from south Africa where monkeys are varmints. AirArmsHuntingSA is the site.

Yes its called an FX impact. I have 2 of them a 35 Cal and a 25 cal.

They are wicked guns. Ill be using the 35 cal to take coyotes and cats this season. I shoot 20 to 30 shot 1 inch groups at 100 yards its not your old red rider for sure
w00t.gif

No problem taking a coyote within a reasonable distance.

Many municipalities have ordinances prohibiting the discharge of air rifles/pistols "on the books". You will only find out by asking or when a complaint is made and the law shows up.

Back