Another Grendel and Thermal Coyote

6mm06

Saturday night I had more success. A young male coyote had hit the bait the previous night, so I stayed at the cabin, hoping for a return. He showed up early in the night around 9:25 PM. Once again I used the thermal and the 6.5 Grendel.

I had baited up high on the hillside near the edge of the hay field and the entrance to the bait site. I place sensors up high near the border and angled just slightly toward the field so that any coyote skirting the edge would get triggered.

The 100 gr. Sierra HP hit perfectly where I aimed and exited out the opposite shoulder bone, causing a fairly large exit wound. The now-discontinued Pulsar Apex XQ38 continues to hold zero well. This coyote was about 50-55 yards when I shot. He jumped and ran down through the tall grass that is between the cabin and bait site, falling about half way down the hill. At first I thought I had made a marginal shot since so many others just hit the dirt, but after inspection I found that the bullet had impacted exactly where the crosshair was aimed. Sometimes they don't drop as we would expect them to.

Pulsar Apex XQ38 on a 20" BCA 6.5 Grendel upper and a DPMS lower with a 2-stage trigger.

50305089948_615f68c631_b.jpg

The first two photos show the grass between the cabin and bait area. The upper arrow is where the coyote was standing when shot and the lower arrow
where he finally came to rest in the tall grass.

50369322261_f6569bc41c_b.jpg

50369484477_39c4abf933_b.jpg

50368619073_66da1a6509_b.jpg

You can see the bullet entrance just behind the right shoulder. I didn't post the exit due to PM rules.

50368619033_dfe925479e_b.jpg

Here's the video, and also near the end is the last coyote I got earlier this month. I didn't post it earlier due to it being short. So far two coyotes have
dropped this month to the Grendel and thermal.

Thanks, Korey. I certainly don’t get the numbers you do, but I have a world of fun on the ones I do. Finally getting around to using the thermal. Last year I put the ATN 4k to use.

For your setup over bait, I can see where either could work well. Nice to the see the Apex knocking down coyotes. It isn't about the numbers; it is about the fun.

Nice video, and nice shooting. It isn't about numbers it is about having fun, looks like you have that part covered. Nice work on the video too. I'm doing good if I can just get a short clip posted. I have almost zero editing skills.

Nice work, 6mm!

Got a six point late yesterday afternoon with the bow, will set up the offal tonight and cover it with the Grendel in case the coyotes show up.

Really nice setup all around. It's amazing how the rascals can keep going after taking a bullet like that -- at any range. Well done and really enjoyed both the pics showing the layout in daylight, and then the video on how it went down. That's a good scope you've got there.

Very well done! Also goes to show a person doesn't have to win the lottery and have all the newest gadgets to be successful. Very well laid out with the day/night pics and illustration. It was almost like being there!

Btw that shooting house is awesome.

Thanks everyone.

P&Y, the little hobo shack of a cabin has been a lot of pleasure for the last nine years. It's nothing more than an 8x12 storage building that I insulated and heated. I have a comfortable bunk and small propane stove to cook supper and hot coffee.

Here's a few more photos to illustrate it better.

50379716707_a06e35daf1_b.jpg

50378841388_4e33def209_b.jpg

49950601256_032ff3345f_b.jpg

49950601956_91f24d4b8e_b.jpg

Back