Killed a few here lately.

JTPinTX

Custom Call Maker
I haven't been out hunting much the last 6 weeks. In mid-august my wife was diagnosed with rectal cancer and we have been making a lot of trips to Baylor hospital in Dallas getting set up for treatments.
Chemo/radiation for her will start later this week and run 5 days a week for the net 6 week. Obviously and rightfully so my hunting this fall will be far in the back seat to other issues.

I did go out last Friday night for a bit, and then again last night. Conditions for calling have been really nice. Cool temps, no bugs, and coyotes have been coming in real well. My shooting is rusty though. I have killed 3, but missed two that should have never got away. I did get three short video clips for you guys.

First is one out in a cotton patch. For sure I would not have set up there on purpose, but I was looking across the top of the cotton over to the peanut field looking for pigs. A couple coyotes started howling 400 yards away, so I gave them a little bit of coyote pup screams and one came right in.

The other two were last night. On the last video you can hear me ask my partner if he wanted to take it, but from where he was standing he didn't have a clear shot. There is a dirt berm on the edge of the road 12" or so tall, and his view was partially obstructed. I could have let the coyote come in more but I had a clean shot and was steady so I took it.

JTP, good shots on all three, but the last one was pretty darn good, given the distance.

I am really sorry to hear the news about your wife. It will be a tough time for her and you. You are in my prayers, brother. Hang in there.

Thanks for the thoughts, comments and prayers guys.

Went back out last night. One of my big landowners who has been really good to me had a dog of his get mauled by a coyote 2 nights ago. I took another friend of mine with me since the area is pretty tough, lots of ways for a coyote to sneak in on you.

Called for about 35 minutes which is twice as long as I normally do. Finally a female came sneaking in from the back side, trying to stalk us and get downwind. We had a fence and gate behind us that caused some trouble. I was the only one with a shot and had to thread it between all kinds of hay stacks and equipment. No time to get video on it, everything happened too fast.

Landowner was really glad I got it though. She was a pretty good looking coyote for around here too.

I got a picture, but I'll be honest it seems like every time I go to post a picture here I have to try and re-invent the wheel. It is harder than most of the other sites I am on and I don't do it often enough to remember how I am supposed to do it. Some days I struggle through it but I am just too tired today and we leave at noon to head back down to Dallas.

Last edited:
Back