Dam Flyers

Bill, most of the guns that have V blocks benefit from a skim bed.

This is a simple test to see how much your action is out of bed.

Jam your finger between the barrel and tip of forearm, then loosen and tighten the front action screw. If the barrel springs away from the stock even the slightest, you will feel it in a major way.

This savage single shot was shooting groups all VERTICAL in .375-.450, drove me crazy. I bedded it, now it shoots tiny groups...223 AI, zero freebore, 14T.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogStock is HS Prec. with full aluminum, bedding block. I think its a female. Just being a real b--ch.

If its female Bill, well theirs always that possibility!

Ackeleyman showed the proper way to check for bedding flex.
If its flex caused by bolt lug bearing surface, alot of times these rifles will naturally shoot better with a lighter load. You can also see one lug is taking on more wear than the other. The lugs should have 80% of there surface bearing evenly in the action recesses if ya want a real tack driving machine.

Hope that helped.

Stock makers order the bedding blocks from vendors with CNC equipment. I have found slight discrepancies in how they are machined out of spec, this makes for warping the action to conform to the bedding block.

To complicate things even more, actions often warp a tad during heat treat, some more than others.

If you look to shoot less than 1/2" groups, best to bed the rifle, float the barrel before you ever pull the trigger.

Stocky's has some of the best stocks with bedding blocks that I have ever seen, so has Accurate Innovations.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ackleymanStock makers order the bedding blocks from vendors with CNC equipment. I have found slight discrepancies in how they are machined out of spec, this makes for warping the action to conform to the bedding block.

To complicate things even more, actions often warp a tad during heat treat, some more than others.

If you look to shoot less than 1/2" groups, best to bed the rifle, float the barrel before you ever pull the trigger.

Stocky's has some of the best stocks with bedding blocks that I have ever seen, so has Accurate Innovations.

Accurate Innovations makes their own stocks and bedding chassis.

The Accurate Innovations stock that I own is one of the finest stocks that I have ever owned, barn NONE!!! It will NEVER be sold till I am dead and gone!

Have you tried plain based bullets?

Then, I would go to a heavier bullet and plain base.

Some rifles just do not perform well with boat tails.

A good friend of mine swore by the Sierra Prohunter series in his 300 Win Mag. He was a confirmed head shooter of elk at around 400-500 yds.

I am a big fan of the Bull bag but sometimes I have to pull the front bag up short and let the forearm hang more in to “outer space”.

Three44s

I went to a 140 AccuBond. A lot better groups and no major "flyers". One of my best groups, was three shots in about a half inch at 100. Went back a few days later and it repeated the group. Seems it prefers a little dirty barrel as well.

Back