Got pulled over with my Can

Originally Posted By: willy1947

I enjoyed reading this. One thing is forgotten here. If you own hunting or fishing license.
A wildlife officer can search your car, your home, and your land.
If your wild game is not marked or you have too many fish in your freezer. You broke the law.
I have two tax stamps, form 1 SBR and form 4 suppressor. Also, BATFE can come to see you.
Any time they want to check your items and paperwork. That goes for local LEOs too.
That is why you have to send part of your paperwork to the Sheriff.
If you sell any class3 items make sure you keep that paperwork.
Keep copies of everything. Safety bank boxes are good for that.

Your house and property cannot be searched without a warrant. I also dont know of anything saying the BATF can come to your house to check the paper work for a suppressor. Especially without a warrant. If you are out of your house then it is different. That is not why you send paperwork to the Sheriff. That is to inform them you are buying one. Here they cannot deny it. I believe most CLEO here dont keep the paper work. Might be different in other states.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Originally Posted By: willy1947

I enjoyed reading this. One thing is forgotten here. If you own hunting or fishing license.
If your wild game is not marked or you have too many fish in your freezer. You broke the law.
I have two tax stamps, form 1 SBR and form 4 suppressor. Also, BATFE can come to see you.
Any time they want to check your items and paperwork. That goes for local LEOs too.

Your house and property cannot be searched without a warrant. I also dont know of anything saying the BATF can come to your house to check the paper work for a suppressor. Especially without a warrant. If you are out of your house then it is different. That is not why you send paperwork to the Sheriff. That is to inform them you are buying one. Here they cannot deny it. I believe most CLEO here dont keep the paper work. Might be different in other states.

Spot on ^^^^^^

I sure hope I never have to travel in or live where these two LEO patrol. I don’t don’t think they would like me standing up for myself.
Nothing like an officer looking for any reason to harass a citizen.

Originally Posted By: willy1947

I can't argue with keeping good paperwork and records, but the rest of that is not accurate or highly exaggerated.

I think an easy way to sum it up is that being a cop in general requires getting into others business hence drawing in personalities that enjoy doing that. I and many people are the opposite. I mind my own business and make a point to stay out of other people's business. With that said when a leo approaches me or pulls me over for a BS reason(which seems to happen frequently) he is interjecting himself into my business which tells me he thinks I'm guilty which makes me sour. When a leo approaches individuals like myself and a statement is made that shows the individual is not a timid pushover type and that they don't appreciate the questionable stop and the oh I can find an infraction bs starts it's a sign of the leo's intention. I'm a cop and don't try put yourself on the same level as me and I will make you guilty. I have had run ins with both types good and bad. As a matter of fact the dispatcher at the county kept my plates handy because of all the suspicious reports of a vehicle parked around the country side at night. It's not just some cops, it' some people in general. Given cops are people I would guess it's because they are that type of a person not that they are simply a cop. The ones who have you pegged as guilty until proven innocent don't impress me and I generally let them know about it to make them think twice before they come in contact with a little less experienced individual. People with a control desire need checked on occasion imo. I would guess most of the time people just let the cops push the envelope with stops that are arguably harrasment and they get complacent with feeling that's okay as "I'm just doing my job". Sure the more stops made the more infractions will be found. Doesn't make it right.

Last edited:
New guys have to start somewhere, if they're too aggressive, they're sometimes run out of the the county/town when they've ruffled too many feathers. Hopefully,they're carrying a revolver and only have one bullet in their shirt pocket.

Just ordered my can...r you suppose to have a copy of trust and stamp with the can at all times?...how do most of you guys do this if it is nessessary?.. in the case in your pocket?etc.

Originally Posted By: BorkborknomnomJust ordered my can...r you suppose to have a copy of trust and stamp with the can at all times?...how do most of you guys do this if it is nessessary?.. in the case in your pocket?etc.

You need to have a copy of your stamp. I scan them and save as a PDF on my phone. Have also had them scanned and laminated the size of a credit card.

thanks a lot for the answers... i definitely like the laminated idea!!! that is pretty awesome... i will do the same. When traveling do you guys keep it on the gun? put it in a case, or a bag or something? and risk of damaging threads if it gets hit or something?

i transport my can detached. i dont have space in my cases for an extra 8"

i have thread protectors and/or QD mounts as needed.

Back