Winchester 7x57 featherweight?

deathray

Stopped in a local gun shop today to get some powder, checked out the used gun rack and come across this rifle has hang tag on it and box, sales man said one of there regular customers had won it at a banquet and was selling off some of his guns, I believe its unfired they believed it was also? No wear on bolt face some grease still on the mag shell follower. I noticed when I worked the bolt that it was hitting on rear action screw and the blueing wasn't. Wore off the screw? It is a push feed model not sure how to check to see how old, push feed should still be made in us? They want $599 sounds like a steel to me? Was waiting for zastava to bring in some of there full stocked rifles in 7x57 or 708 but it doesn't look like that will happen? What do you think? Good dealing?

After watching gunbroker and local market the last couple of years I have come to the point of “if I want it, pay the price” I don’t like the way things are today compared to what I was accustomed to in the past, but times have changed and I don’t believe it going to get better. The 7x57 is an under appreciated round that will do just about anything you want. I like the story of Jack O’Conner, the man who made the 270 famous, with few exceptions liked his wife’s 7x57 better but his boss publishers would not let him say so in print

Originally Posted By: ackleymanYou have not bought it yet?

thumbup1.gif

Buy it!!! The 7x57 is one of the best cartridges ever made! Being a push feed would put it between 1964 and the early 90s, but still a good gun. The Winchester m70 in 7x57 was the favorite rifle of Jack O'Connor and for a good reason.

7x57 bought it, took it out of stock got it all cleaned up, fixed long action screw got trigger set at 2 1/4 lbs waiting on red field base will mount a 1-5x gloss luepold 99.9% sure she's never been fired almost hate to shoot it but I buy guns to shoot them. Brother in law said he would give me a hundred more than I paid! I just laughed brass and bullets dies on the way. Tried to put pic up on here couldn't get it done. Have one on rfc under all I wanted was a can of powder.

As far as I'm concerned you bought one of the nice hunting rifles made. I bought my dad the same rifle in 270 and if they would have had a 7x57 my dad would have had to mug me to get it, great find. I shoot a 7x57 Rimmed. S&B 173gr and PPV 139gr are very reasonable and quite accurate..

The 7x57 is about as good as it gets.I have a tang safety Ruger in 7x57.Many deer have found their way to the dinner table in my home.

Killed elk, whitetail, and a few coyotes with my Hart Barrel 7x57 Mauser.

Ive found H414 to be the best performing powder. Best current loads to date 51.5grn H414 under a 140 gr Federal Fusion @ 3000-3025fps.

After shooting it, I always question why I own multiple 6.5 Creedmoors.

7x57mm, or .275 Rigby as its known across the pond, is an exceptional medium game round and in a Model 70, id go for it in a heartbeat. If its a true FW with CRF, I wouldve broke my hand trying to get my wallet out fast enough.

Originally Posted By: Zastava223rem7x57mm, or .275 Rigby as its known across the pond, is an exceptional medium game round and in a Model 70, id go for it in a heartbeat. If its a true FW with CRF, I wouldve broke my hand trying to get my wallet out fast enough.

I looked at one Saturday and left my wallet in my pocket..........

Any 7MM cartridge is hard to beat, but my favorite is the 284 Winchester. After that in a similar cartridge size, I'd drop down a silly half millimeter and go with a 6.5x284.

Another favorite of mine is the 280 AI.

Winny, I too love the 280 AI, am shooting the 175g LRAB at 2900 out of a 27", 9T.

My 280 with a 24", X caliber barrel, std throat, is shooing the 160g Sierra BTSP and Partition at 2930 with IMR 7828 and fed 210, a load right out of the Nosler loading manual #4.

The Lapua 284 brass is ungodly strong. I have the reamer and brass, just have not got around to it, going to put on a Rem 700 long action so I can chase the lands. I had two 6/284's that were coyote hunting rifles in the 80's, and a 25/284 with two barrels for shooting chucks/p. dogs with in the early 90's. I really hate this case on a Remington Short Action, but is a whale of an improvement for a long action...to each his own.

Back