HELP, Three Questions, before the new guy heads out for his first hunt.

Rhino20

Question 1. Do you use a seat or chair? If so on the ground or swivel or ??? pics please.

Question 2. Do you have a good way to ask to hunt a persons land? A great approach or things you are sure to cover? Do you provide an agreement you both sign? If so please add.

Question 3. Once you shoot them, what do you do with them? If it is in the summer or the pelt is not great? What disposal?

Thanks!!

1.. I use slydog predator gear pack/chair... It's excellent.

2.. I hunt public.. Cause I hate asking for anything..

3. I leave them where they fall.. nature takes care of disposal.

1-Seat, I take the whole truck along and shoot right from the drivers seat. Otherwise I'd prefer to sit on the ground.

2-Just simply ask and always have reference names on my mind to share, Often times they contact me first. I mention that I don't litter or tear up roads, always close gates and never extend permission.
I never sign anything, at least that's what my attorney says.

3-I let them go back to nature unless it's in a crop field, drag to edge. Have captured some great pics off carcasses like when 13 eagles consumed 16 coyotes in one spot.
Have seen beetles show up in minutes for the job.

#1 I sit on just a 2" foam pad to keep my but warm.
#2 Seldom ask hunt a lot of public lands. I have had ranchers/farmers stop by the truck and ask me or leave a note to come to see them to shoot coyotes. PS it helps when you ask to have a dead coyote in the truck.
#3 Only time I pack them out is when they're worth $100 the rest of the time they get there pic taken and left to go back to nature.
You may have to check at your fish and game and see what your state regulations on that are.

Last edited:
Closed cell foam pad during the day in the fall/winter. At night, standing. The best coyote ground usually good deer/pheasant ground, tough permission unless you know the owner. Deer guys don't want disturbances just before and during season. I try hard to only kill prime coyote(occasional problem one, usually up in someone's yard killing fowl or cat's). It is not legal to bury carcasses in Mn, have had a hog operation allow me to use their compost pile. Never leave a dead coyote where visible, or in a ag field. Anything of value skinned and put up/sold, either by me or custom. The higher the human population the more planning needed for hunting and success.

1. It depends on the terrain, elevated rocky stands I have a insulated pad so I can sit on the ground and see where I think the coyote is coming from. Hilly soft ground a seat. Taller cover where I can sit on a chair/stool and not be skylighted. I've been known to do stands standing up in certain cover. I'm getting older I only sit as low as needed, it is getting harder to stand up again. I keep all three platforms in the truck and just a pad and three legged stool on the MC. The three leg stool is getting to be one of my favorite, it folds up and I ball bungee it to my backscabbard to hike in to stands and leave my hands free. I can ride the bike to a stand and just ump off and make a stand and not have to dig out any equipment, stool, sticks, rifle and caller are all hooked to the scabbard.

mFv8de.jpg

The seat has been replaced by the stool most of the time.

9bVQWX.jpg

2. I don't hunt private ground unless ASKED to, it is too much trouble, with people trespassing and me getting the blame.

3. I usually don't hunt them until they are skinable. Bad fur or early kills like at the convention get stashed behind bushes so they are not visible to passers by.

Good luck, I killed a lot of fox in NW MN back in the 70's

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rhino20Question 1. Do you use a seat or chair? If so on the ground or swivel or ??? pics please.

Doesn't matter, I use a folding chair for prairie dogs, a camp stool for coyotes, mainly because it's not as noisy. If you have an elevation advantage with short grass, I've carried back a shooting mat and laid on that using my bipod. During the summer, always have mosquito dope, my preference is Bushman.

Question 2. Do you have a good way to ask to hunt a persons land? A great approach or things you are sure to cover? Do you provide an agreement you both sign? If so please add.

Just drive up, introduce yourself - both name and town/city you're from - if from a crappy liberal town, state you're a conservative with a smile (providing you are a conservative). In today's environment with the chicom virus scare - offer to shake hands, as you're introducing yourself - I personally know people/ranchers who won't talk to you if you don't offer to shake hands. Just so happens I'm one of them that has no time for pencil necks or snowflakes.

If allowed permission to shoot/hunt - remember their name, write their names down as soon as you get in your vehicle. If you plan on returning, purchase a gift for the wife & kids and a separate gift for the man of the house. I get a box of chocolate turtles for the Lady of the house - A gift box from a custom chocolate establishment will cost around $40.00 plus shipping for 15 turtles. I normally purchase a bottle of booze for the guy unless he's a non- drinker. Ask him what is his favorite - most will say "you don't have to do that" - DO IT ANYWAY. If he's a non-drinker, maybe a Yeti or similar hot coffee mug?? Western ND is cowboy/ranch people - self sufficient, straight talking - for most anyway. For the gentlemen I purchase - Pendleton 1910, 12 Year Canadian Whisky - cost around $40.00 I do this every year for every rancher who's land I shoot on - plus the turtles, of course.

Question 3. Once you shoot them, what do you do with them? If it is in the summer or the pelt is not great? What disposal?

Ask the landowner, he'll tell you his preference. If pasture type land - I just leave them where shot in the summer. If crop land, drag them to the road ditch if public land - if land owner wants the carcass removed, then take them a couple miles down the road and throw them in the roadside ditch (if legal in your State) - no worse than a vehicle hitting a deer - the deer are thrown in the ditch. Never throw a carcass in a river/creek or any body of water!

Thanks!!

Question 1. Do you use a seat or chair? If so on the ground or swivel or ??? pics please. I use a Beard Buster Chair. Link just for image. It weighs less than 1 lb and is a nice cushion so gun doesn't dig into your back on your way out to your calling location. When used on the stand, it offers nice protection from the ground and just enough back support.

Question 2. Do you have a good way to ask to hunt a persons land? A great approach or things you are sure to cover? Do you provide an agreement you both sign? If so please add. I will send you a PM with how I get access.

Question 3. Once you shoot them, what do you do with them? If it is in the summer or the pelt is not great? What disposal?If fur is prime and the pelt is nice, it goes to my fur buyer. For earlier season coyotes, I have a few freezers to keep them from spoiling. If it is winter time, our temps in ND keep the coyotes frozen naturally.

If the fur is not prime, they normally are left where they fall. However, as others have said, check your state game laws as rules vary per state.

#1 depends on terrain but usually i use my butt.

#2 i dont. Gobs of blm land where i hunt.

#3 feed the buzzards, beatles, ants, and any other scavengers.

Back