Newb to night hunting, equipment advice

Dan A

Gentlemen,

Trying to get more into the varmint hunting at night but have basically no experience.

I've been searching for a few days, reading all I can. Seems technology changes pretty quickly as when I think I've got turned on to a light or something else and click on the link, they are no longer available.

So when it comes to equipment for night hunting it seems I need the following, since I am currently not in a position to spend the big bucks on thermal:

Light mounted to gun
Scanning light for trying to find varmints coming to the call

So what could you guys recommend for each of these?

I like to get recent experience from others as I can't count the number of times I get into something, buy equipment only to find I really either need or want something else.

On the gun mounted light I was looking at the Nitecore P30 1000 Lumens 676 Yards Red and Green Rechargeable Hunting Light with Lumentac Rifle Mounting Kit for Hog Coyote and Varmint Hunting for $145.

Really still don't have a clue on the scanning light and could use some advice there.

If it matters, I am most interested in bobcat and fox for some leather projects I am wanting to do but will take whatever comes my way. I will be shooting a bolt action .204

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

All Predator Calls has a variety of lights.

You could also contact Joe at Night Eyes. He can give you very good advice and carries a really good scan light as I understand. Sorry can't be more help, but haven't used lights for several years now.

https://nighteyeslights.com/

Originally Posted By: Dan AThank you! I will look into this.

Use the PM search engine at the top of the page and you will be able to read previous threads related to whatever information you are seeking.

There should be a ton of threads related to lights.....color.....brand.....price....hunting techniques....etc

You can't go wrong with a Night Eyes setup. I highly recommend them.

Scanning:
HL55 Wireless Remote Dual Beam Headlamp
or
HS-3 Handheld Scan Light

Shooting
Night Eyes GL-350 kit mounted on your rifle
or
Night Eyes GL-250 kit for shorter distances

You may want to get a couple extra batteries and a charger as well.

You can't go wrong with Red. Some have success with white, it seems to vary by area and user. I prefer Red, it spooks predators less than white for me, and it seems to cut through mist and dust better than white.

The dual color headlamp is very handy at times, like hiking in and animal recovery. You may not like scanning with a headlamp, it gets tiring swinging your head back and forth for hours. I use a headlamp on some stands and a handheld light for others.

If you want to go cheap, then buy the GL-350 light for $109 to scan with, and the $25 magnetic accessory mount. Get a battery and charger on Amazon. Scan with the GL-350 until you see eyes, then mount the light on your barrel with magnetic mount. This gets you a great light for both scanning and shooting for only $150 or so, until you decide to buy a scan light.

Back