Powering off thermion

Toro

Anyone have issues With the thermion not powering down? Batteries went completely dead on a few occasions after I shut the unit down with fully charged batteries. Lately I have been holding the power button down an additional 3 seconds after the count down ends and it seems have solved the problem. Wondering if anyone else had this issue.

Last edited:
I have not used a Thermion but many Pulsars. It sure sounds like the display was being turned off vs powering down. It sounds like you have it figured out.

Yea I hear what your saying but this is my 4th pulsar unit. They all have powered down the same, with the 3,2,1 count down. I’ve never had to hold in the power button that long after the countdown. I’m just hoping it’s not a prelude to a future problem with the power control.

Spoke to sightmark tech support today. I was told that all thermions will drain internal and secondary removable battery when powered off. I was advised to remove the secondary battery when not in use and charge internal battery right before hunting. Not the end of the world but less than ideal in my opinion.

I was sent this reply by Sightmark on August 2nd after I emailed them complaining that my Thermion will drain both batteries completely dead, sitting in the safe after two weeks.

We will be fixing this issue with a new firmware update due to come out within two weeks.

We apologise for the inconvenience.

Im still waiting for the firmware update.

Last edited:
When I first got my thermion i had that happen couple times. I figured I just didn't get it shut down all the way... may let go a millisecond too soon? Since I've not had the issue and make sure its off. It will slowly lose its charge naturally. I put a charge on it once a month or so

Yea this guy didn’t say anything about a firmware update. He stated that he thinks they will be making a lot of improvement with the secondary (ips) batteries in the near future, making the internal battery less of a factor. Capital, At least they acknowledged to you that it was an issue. My response was more like, “yea there’s nothing wrong with it , that’s just the way it is,”. The tech said he owns an xp50 and his does same thing. I’ll still be able to hunt with it but I’d prefer that it stay charged and not have to remove batteries when not in use. Hopefully they do come out with a solution.

Why is the Thermion (well my Thermion) draining a fully charged internal battery in a week when its powered off?

I can understand a month or so, but one week!

Just another issue with another Pulsar thermal. It goes on and on...

Yea I lose about 7% of battery a day when the unit is powered off. Like tj, I thought I wasn’t hoIding the power button long enough after the “display off count down” ended because the unit would be dead when I would try to turn it back on a couple weeks or so later. I did speak to a distributor that confirmed that pulsar is supposed to be coming out with a firmware update to correct the problem. He is anticipating it happening in the near future. I will post if I hear about it becoming available.

Curious what other issues. From what I've seen they seem ok. I think trail xp50 a zero holding issue. Haven't seen much other than that. Thank you

Just saw that pulsar released firmware updates for thermions battery algorithms on 9/30/20. Gonna try it and see how it does.

Originally Posted By: ToroJust saw that pulsar released firmware updates for thermions battery algorithms on 9/30/20. Gonna try it and see how it does.

Thank you for the update info.

I just did the update to my XP50. I was experiencing the same issue...batteries would be dead after a few weeks. Getting them all charged up and will see how long they last after the update now.

Yea i charged everything up 2 days ago and shut it down. Gonna check it after a week and see. I’ll post how I made out.

I just downloaded the new firmware to my Thermion XQ50. I will see how it goes and report back.

My son is digging peanuts in the field where they always have lots of hog trouble. Saturday night I ambushed a small sounder of 3 sows and 5 piglets. I killed all 3 sows and 2 of the piglets. That makes 18 pigs I have killed out of that field since May. I will probably be going back the next few nights since there are lots more pigs out there. It may be a week or so before I can let my Thermion just sit and check discharge rates, but I will update when I can check.

Last edited:
I charged everything up on mine and shut it down a good four or five days ago and checked it today and both batteries were still fully charged. Seems like the update worked. I haven’t even mounted it on the gun yet. I have the thermion xq38 and the Image looks pretty good. Looking forward to getting it out hunting soon.

I'm trying to connect a thermion xp50 to the stream vision app to do the firmware update. Its asking for a password. Where can I find this? Or is there a default password?

Back