The willow patch stand.

Jim Byers

The Willow stand sits about a mile off the highway on my weekly commute for work. Two long thin strips of willows flow like water down a major ridge into a large cattle ranch. Perfect habitat for many things but ideal bedding cover for coyotes. The approach is [beeep] near perfect and the prevailing winds are almost always in your favor..

Got out of work this afternoon about an hour early so I decided to swing in and give this stand another go.

About 5 minutes in the first contestant arrived.. he was acting pretty cautious so when he stopped broadside at around 200.. thwhack!
He initially dropped but quickly regained his feet and stumbled back into the willows.. I switched back from my preset foxbang to another favorite and within a minute another player showed herself. She too was playing it cool and slowly started swinging to my downwind side. She stopped at about 160 or so and I sent one her way. Like the first she seemed drt but regained her feet and headed towards the willows.. She fell for the final time just on the edge.. upload image from url][/url]

I found her easily but the male couldn't be recovered. His trail eluded me. Had it been a month from now I'd have fetched the hounds from my truck, but being not worth keeping yet it wasn't worth the fuss.
My shooting was off tonight, both situations I fought to get the gun on target.. Not sure why really?? Some days you win, others you learn..

With darkness falling ever quicker each evening I ordered some more gear for my night hunting kit.. looking forward to getting better at that game..

][/url]

Sounds and looks like the work gig and hunting time are working in your favor. Congrats on you success. Really good pics too.

I had a few like that where it's not over til the second shot.
Once at 10 feet and again at 20 feet were a surprise. Reload!

Back