Thompson Center TCR

pyscodog

Saw one for sale in a shop this morning. Its the older model with the lever like a single shot shotgun. Maybe called the Aristocrat? Really nice wood and the metal was still really nice and blue. Caliber was 22-250. I've never owned one and kinda always thought they were a really neat rifle but have no idea of value other than Gunbroker where the prices are crazy. He's asking $750. Is that a fair price?

I read some reviews after posting this. Seems they have a following of sorts but accuracy reviews weren't the best. Think this is one I'll just admire while its on their rack and not mine. Cool little rifle though.

Just googled that rifle it looks sweet.I have a falling block rifle,now that rifle isn't . But I've found those "Not Bolt action"rifles to be a totally different animal . So not surprised, it's not known for great accuracy. But my W-W 1885 in 220 Swift at first was a headache ,but after free floating the forearm and a trigger job,its a precision shooter . So point is maybe with some work on this rifle it could become a great shooter?

I picked one up at a gun show 20+ years ago after the factory burned and TC didn’t rebuild.

$750 is probably reasonable depending upon condition. There were two grades (if you don’t include the magnum receivers). The “aristocratic” has double set triggers and higher grade wood. Barrels have gotten expensive. It’s difficult to find factory barrels for less than $300. The custom shop barrels and those made by Virgin Valley and SSK are more in the $500 range.

I think accuracy is affected mostly by how well individual barrels mate to the receiver. Tack driver? Not by today’s CNCd guns, but accurate enough. I think 1-1.5 moa is a realistic expectation. I use mine as a calling gun with either a .22 hornet or .223 barrel.

Back